Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Operating Systems

Beans

Re: Operating Systems

That link to the Tannenbaumish material isn't quite to my liking. It doesn't even know about virtual memory. While you can argue that it is easier to understand this way you also learn something that is not relevant anymore.

This is what I recommend:
    http://www.amazon.com/Design-Impleme...0875289&sr=8-1

Unfortunately books about the Linux kernel are general very poor self-teaching material, the above BSD book is based on a classic book. Everything in there is relevant, it has virtual memory and modern filesystems. That doesn't mean that the FreeBSD kernel still looks like the book says but at least you got a fighting chance. This is probably the best combo of book and running(!) kernel you can get.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JDShu View Post
    hmm I see that makes sense. Do you have a book that you would recommend?
    If you don't know much about computer architecture, "Computer Organization & Design" written by John Hennessy and David Patterson is a good start. Don't be confused with another book written by the same authors, "Computer Architecture, quantitative analysis', which is a book with much advanced topic for processor performance analysis.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lostinxlation View Post
    If you don't know much about computer architecture, "Computer Organization & Design" written by John Hennessy and David Patterson is a good start. Don't be confused with another book written by the same authors, "Computer Architecture, quantitative analysis', which is a book with much advanced topic for processor performance analysis.
    I got a hold of the book and its a great read, thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Proud GNU/Linux zealot and lover of penguins
    "Value your freedom or you will lose it, teaches history." --Richard Stallman

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Of course after you get a grasp of the fundamentals, it's always worth looking at a production kernel to see how it might be structured. Hey, I know of such production kernel. It's called the "Linux kernel".

But you can get Linus's branch quite easily, this command will spit it in the directory of your choosing (install git-core):

Code:
    git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
    Some interesting stuff is in the arch/x86/boot directory.
    Proud GNU/Linux zealot and lover of penguins
    "Value your freedom or you will lose it, teaches history." --Richard Stallman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12