Thread: Ubuntu 9.10 or Super OS or Linux Mint

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu 9.10 or Super OS or Linux Mint

I've already installed the Ubuntu 9.10 and, in the process of trying to learn more about the "How to's" of using it, I came across some other versions that created questions.

Another version is called the "Super OS" (hacktolive.org/wiki/Super_OS) that is, supposedly ver. 9.10 with lots of improvements/updates.

Another one, with a comparison to ver 9.10, is Linux Mint. (linuxbsdos.com/2010/01/16/linux-mint-8-vs-ubuntu-9-10/)

Is Super OS that much improved over the original ver 9.10?

Is Linux Mint really that much more "user friendly" but actually straying away from the Ubuntu that it is based on?

Since I am one that is not familiar with "writing" programs, and didn't start playing with computers really until Windough$ 95, would either of these be an easier to operate system than ver. 9.10?

If Super OS is much easier, since I've already done a dual boot, how easy would it be to maybe "upgrade" 9.10 to Super OS?

Any suggestions/recommendations?
    HP EliteBook 2530p 120GiB HDD, 2GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU L9400 1.86GHz X2, Moile Intel GM45 Express Chipset, OS is 64 bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 or Super OS or Linux Mint

As far as I know, Super OS is just Ubuntu with a bunch of preinstalled packages. Just find the packages you need and install them

Ubuntu mint is more user friendly by default. It comes with restricted extras preinstalled and I remember it had gnome-do installed (all things you can get in Ubuntu)

Other than that, there's not much difference.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It's personal preference id say stick with Ubuntu but download Linux Mint and give it a try you might like it better the Super OS is just ubuntu with codecs flash etc installed It's kind of pointless if you ask me since codecs are a mere click away in ubuntu
    KDE SC 4.4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by flyfishingphil View Post

Since I am one that is not familiar with "writing" programs, and didn't start playing with computers really until Windough$ 95, would either of these be an easier to operate system than ver. 9.10?
    IMO, neither Super OS nor Linux mint are easier to operate or more user friendly. They are Ubuntu derivatives with preinstalled proprietary codecs and various other packages. The only users that might benefit from such derivatives are those without ready access to broadband. That said, don't take my word on it and try them yourself. I bet you'll find the three very similar, and might like better then the others.
    Last edited by mikewhatever; April 8th, 2010 at 05:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks all. That's kind of what I suspected but thought I'd ask here just to see what I got. With the time I've spent getting it operational I guess I'll stick with ver 9.10 and just spend more time learning its ins and outs. (Slow process for the head injured.)
    HP EliteBook 2530p 120GiB HDD, 2GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU L9400 1.86GHz X2, Moile Intel GM45 Express Chipset, OS is 64 bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Mint is based on Ubuntu. It has a different interface.

I tried both with LiveCD before deciding for Ubuntu.

Mint has all media working out of the box. It also has some bug fixes that Ubuntu doesn't i believe. Most things on it work out of the box.

It has a very interesting software manager (with reviews and some have screens) and update manager (with importance of update marked).

What i didn't like about it is the user interface. It's not bad, but to me it wasn't so intuitive as when i tried to find some tool or programme i had a feeling that it takes me longer to find it. In gnome i could just pop to it eventhough i never used Ubuntu Linux (Gnome) before. Another hitng about mint is that it needs a bit more RAM than Ubuntu. Since i was a bit limited in this area and because of the GUI i opted for Ubuntu. Although i wish some features of Mint were found in Ubuntu. Because appart from primary GUI it seems a bit more friendlier.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Angry Re: Ubuntu 9.10 or Super OS or Linux Mint

Quote Originally Posted by flyfishingphil View Post
    I've already installed the Ubuntu 9.10 and, in the process of trying to learn more about the "How to's" of using it, I came across some other versions that created questions.

Another version is called the "Super OS" (hacktolive.org/wiki/Super_OS) that is, supposedly ver. 9.10 with lots of improvements/updates.

Another one, with a comparison to ver 9.10, is Linux Mint. (linuxbsdos.com/2010/01/16/linux-mint-8-vs-ubuntu-9-10/)

Is Super OS that much improved over the original ver 9.10?

Is Linux Mint really that much more "user friendly" but actually straying away from the Ubuntu that it is based on?

If Super OS is much easier, since I've already done a dual boot, how easy would it be to maybe "upgrade" 9.10 to Super OS?

Any suggestions/recommendations?
    Now using SUPER-OS, with all latest updates. It uses Ubuntu 9.10, Karmic Koala.

I need on-screen keyboard, but cannot find it accessible. Synaptic says I have a few of these installed (gnome, etc) .... but can't see them anywhere (e.g. "find").

PC-LINUX-OS, LEEENUX, ... all allow access to on-screen keyboard.

So now I'll try Ubuntu proper - latest version.

HP PAVVILION DV6500 notebook comes with unworkable VISTA. 1st cylinder od my 320 HDD is ruined. Only Linux avoids using this first cylinder.

Retired (medical) IT Consultant, Australian Capital Territory.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mikewhatever View Post
    IMO, neither Super OS nor Linux mint are easier to operate or more user friendly. They are Ubuntu derivatives with preinstalled proprietary codecs and various other packages. The only users that might benefit from such derivatives are those without ready access to broadband. That said, don't take my word on it and try them yourself. I bet you'll find the three very similar, and might like better then the others.
    It's all more difficult than you infer.

Cute Partition Manager self-booting cd first, to delete the old op sys partitions first. Otherwise the HDD partitions & GRUB gets crazy.

Always backup the data to an offline HDD. DATA should be in a separate partition from the O-S. Most (all?) O-S publishers seem ignorant of this.

Greg Zeng, AUSTRALIA.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For me the main point of using SuperOS instead of Mint is that Mint tries to look like Windows in some way. Thats also because of the user friendliness. But i liked Macs interface pretty much. And seeing Ubuntu doing it different. And not bad actually. Like Mac does. I like it. Although i suppose Mint is even more polished and user friendly. But u cannot hold on to this old start button. Different kindes of docks have already long ago replaced the start button for me on different systems. Look at Windows 8. I wonder what will happen to GUI part of the computer world when Win8 goes live.

After re reading my post to correct errors. I got an idea. I suppose this is the same as with my blackberry. Iphones are more interesting for the most part of the population. But theres also a lesser part of the population that likes blackberries more. Same is here now with Mint and SuperOS. A lot or most ppl maybe don't like Unity. I like it. I like Gnome 3 even more. And like that Lion already has some of Gnome 3's features. But most ppl are not that curious in technology. They don't care. They just need it to be like they already know. And thats it. They don't care that it can be better. Because it can easily bring some difficulties. Its all about conservatism. Or maybe even further. Egoism. They search not what is good. But what they like. I tell a guy look here in blackberry to do this something is so comfortable. Not because its better. Just because its different. And he starts to convincing me how his iphone is so much better. For me its not about better. Its about what i need. And that is keyboard and no touch screen. But he has like a problem with it or something. But ok. Theres an old saying for that "for taste and color there are no mates" or something like that. And also people are so selfish that they often try to position something they like as the one and only best. But its not like that often.

I was thinking about what will Mint 12 look like. Im very curious. Because its all is changing. Gnome 3 is not Gnome 2 anymore. Gnomish Ubuntu is not Gnomish Ubuntu anymore. Win8 is not WinXP anymore. Lets see what Mint 12 will be.

I will even add what i think it will become. Ubuntu is a Shell/customization of Debian. Mint has started as add-on to this customization. But now it has become a big customization on its own. Btw the reason why i like SuperOS more is that it does not touches GUI and still adds codecs and so on. So i see Mint going in the direction of taking Debian as the base. It has already happened with latest release. But i wonder how it will look further. I suppose it will have different versions. But relation between Mint and Ubuntu is what is interesting for me. In the sense of ideas.

I dont like that Windows is "in your face" with all those popups. So Gnome 3 and Mac os are like main nice to use interfaces in my eyes. And Unity is also not far from them.

Have a nice day,
    Nikolai
    The truth will set you free!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Closed. Please don't bump old threads.