Thread: installed package listing app/backup app

Beans

Arrow installed package listing app/backup app

i was bored and have recently been rebooting my setup quite alot, so i decided to make this.

this is a bash script + perl program that, together, get a list of installed packages and cleans up the list so that it is just all the package names separated by a space.
    you can just open the output file (installed-packages.list) and copy+paste the output after 'sudo apt-get install' and ubuntu will re-install all the packages that were on the computer that ran the listing/backup script.
    i plan to write a little tutorial to go with this, and most likely a restore script, too - just to make it easier for newer people.
    but for now, here are the two files and a short example on how to use them.
    enjoi !!

--- --- ---

okay, say your laptop went kaput and you had to reinstall ubuntu.
    you are going to have to 'apt-get install <pack>' every package all over again, which in my case is a pain with all my programming/server/testing/debugging apps etc...
    so, what if you could just run this script/program once a month, whatever (whenever you do a backup maybe?) and store the ouputted file somewhere safe?
    then when you reformat your comp, you can just copy+paste the contents of the file after a 'sudo apt-get install <paste here>' command and BOOM - all your packages install., hassle-free>? ( well, almost... i haven't tested this alot so there might be some package issues but i will get to that after some sleep =P )

anyway, there is TWO parts to this.
    packer.pl (perl program) & packup (bash script)

copy & paste the following (in its ENTIRETY) into a file and save it as 'packer.pl' WITHOUT THE QUOTES!
    Code:
    #!/usr/bin/perl
    #######################################################################
    ##          this perl script if for use by my 'packup' script        ##
    ##    and filters the output of the dpkg --get-selections command.   ##
    ##      feel free to modify/use this script for another purpose,     ##
    ##          but just leave these comments/credits intact, ok?         ##
    ## -->  this script requires to be placed in the same folder as  <-- ##
    ## -->  the aptly named 'packup' == which is a BASH program      <-- ##
    ## -->  used to link this program to the command line.           <-- ##
    ##  ((I KNOW, I KNOW...THIS COULD BE MORE COMPACT. BUT LESS FUN!!))  ##
    ##                                     ##
    ## version            v1.0                     ##
    ## createdBy            Darksider                 ##
    ## emailAddy            darksider@swedger.com             ##
    ## websiteUrl            www.swedger.com                 ##
    ## lastEdit            08/04/2010                 ##
    ## thanksTo            gedit   ^_^                 ##

print "loading 'installed-packages.list' for reading...\n";
    if((-e 'installed-packages.list') and (-r 'installed-packages.list') and (-T 'installed-packages.list')) {
        open(packs,'<installed-packages.list');
        print "reading 'installed-packages.list' file...\n";
        while(<packs>) { # for each line in the installed-packages list file,
            $rawpack=$_; # save the line into a variable.
            @cutpacks=split(/\s/,$rawpack,2); # split() the line into two
            if($cutpacks[1] =~ /install/) { # IF the presently selected package is INSTALLED currently
                $cleanpacks=$cleanpacks." ".$cutpacks[0]; # then add the package name into our 'CLEAN' packlist variable
            }
            # otherwise it will be listed as DEINSTALL and is not installed/has been removed, hence we don't want/need to remember it !!
        } # after we've finished READING the file to deal with each package name, we want to clean it up. so...
        print "closing 'installed-packages.list'...\n"; # alert the user to what's happening at this moment in time (good practice)
        close(packs); # close the file for good practice
        print "cleaning up installed packages list...\n";
        print "loading 'installed-packages.list' for writing...\n";
        open(packs,'>installed-packages.list'); # re-open the file for rewriting with the chopped up and formatted list of installed packages,
        printf packs $cleanpacks; # re-write the file with the cleaned-up version of our package list
        close(packs); # and then close the file for good pactice
        print "'installed-packages.list' has been re-written in a nicer format =]\n"; # alert the user to the success...
    }
    else { # IF the list file doesn't exist, isn't readable OR isn't a text file, then alert the user. (this is incase the user edits the file
        # whether it be by accident or not. also useful if messing with the code >_<
        print "'installed-packages.list' file could not be read. please ensure that this program and 'packup' script are in the same directory, and that you haven't modified the 'installed-packages.list' file. The file must meet three qualifications for passing through this program's tidyup-\n+ It must EXIST\n+ It must be READABLE\n+ It must be a TEXT FILE\n\nIf you used 'packup' then there shouldn't be anything wrong. Make sure it is in a directory you have permission to read/write in, and if the problem persists then contact me for support-\ndarksider\@swedger.com\n\nThanks!!\n";
    }
    print "packer.pl program exiting...\n"; # print a little exiting message so the user knows the perl part is exiting
    print "- - - - - - - - -\n"; # print a little line-break type thing to make it look nice in terminal
    then, copy and paste the following bit of code and save it, this time, into packup (no file extension, just call the file 'packup' without the quotes!!)
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    ##       this script packs up a list of all installed packages       ##
    ## and saves them in a file in a format readable by 'unpack' script. ##
    ##          you can also use the contents of the file to just         ##
    ##                        apt-get install <package-list>         ##
    ## -->  the aptly named 'packer.pl' == which is a PERL program   <-- ##
    ## -->  used to edit the output of the dpkg command that lists   <-- ##
    ## -->  all installed programs on the machine running the script <-- ##

clear
    echo "packup bash script v1.0"
    echo "createdBy Darksider"
    echo "websiteUrl www.swedger.com"
    echo "this script utilises 'packer.pl', which was also created by me =]"
    echo "- - - - - - - - -"
    dpkg --get-selections > installed-packages.list
    perl packer.pl
    echo "thanks for using my code!!"
    echo "--> darksider <--"
    echo ""
    --- --- ---

now, when i fix up this post and give more info and possibly a TUTORIAL, i will show you how to make your own personal bin folder to put custom scripts and such into, so that they are easier to use and get to.
    but for now, use the following command, replacing <directory tree here> with the directions to the directory where you have put your two new scripts.
    Code:
    cd <directory tree here>
    for instance, if you made packer.pl and packup on your desktop, then you would type-
    Code:
    cd /home/<your ubuntu username>/Desktop>
    if you still don't get it, when I log into my ubuntu laptop, i click on my username which is billy and then i type my password.
    so if i was running this command, i would type the following into my terminal-
    Code:
    cd /home/billy/Desktop
    so, now that you are in the directory, type the following and watch in amazement as my code works for your every whim! mwuahahahahaha.... *cough* sorry bout that...

Code:
    chmod +x packup   [HIT ENTER]
    packup                   [HIT ENTER]
    hope you liked this!!
    please leave me lots of comments, whether they be good or bad. just ensure it is constructive criticism!!!!!!!!!

peace all, i will check back tomorrow.

-billy-
    [lonewaster/darksider]
    Last edited by lonewaster; April 8th, 2010 at 04:51 AM. Reason: quick script fix

Beans

Re: installed package listing app/backup app

i have decided to write a set of utilities (bash,perl,maybe other languages) designed to make some tedious tasks easier under ubuntu.
    i will make a new thread upon it being released [beta] and hopefully people will like and enjoy them!

<3 ubuntu <3

-billy-

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by lonewaster View Post
    i was bored and have recently been rebooting my setup quite alot, so i decided to make this.

this is a bash script + perl program that, together, get a list of installed packages and cleans up the list so that it is just all the package names separated by a space.
    you can just open the output file (installed-packages.list) and copy+paste the output after 'sudo apt-get install' and ubuntu will re-install all the packages that were on the computer that ran the listing/backup script.
    i plan to write a little tutorial to go with this, and most likely a restore script, too - just to make it easier for newer people.
    but for now, here are the two files and a short example on how to use them.
    enjoi !!

--- --- ---

okay, say your laptop went kaput and you had to reinstall ubuntu.
    you are going to have to 'apt-get install <pack>' every package all over again, which in my case is a pain with all my programming/server/testing/debugging apps etc...
    so, what if you could just run this script/program once a month, whatever (whenever you do a backup maybe?) and store the ouputted file somewhere safe?
    then when you reformat your comp, you can just copy+paste the contents of the file after a 'sudo apt-get install <paste here>' command and BOOM - all your packages install., hassle-free>? ( well, almost... i haven't tested this alot so there might be some package issues but i will get to that after some sleep =P )

anyway, there is TWO parts to this.
    packer.pl (perl program) & packup (bash script)

copy & paste the following (in its ENTIRETY) into a file and save it as 'packer.pl' WITHOUT THE QUOTES!
    Code:
    #!/usr/bin/perl
    ##          this perl script if for use by my 'packup' script        ##
    ##    and filters the output of the dpkg --get-selections command.   ##
    ##      feel free to modify/use this script for another purpose,     ##
    ##          but just leave these comments/credits intact, ok?         ##
    ## -->  the aptly named 'packup' == which is a BASH program      <-- ##
    ## -->  used to link this program to the command line.           <-- ##
    ##  ((I KNOW, I KNOW...THIS COULD BE MORE COMPACT. BUT LESS FUN!!))  ##

print "loading 'installed-packages.list' for reading...\n";
    if((-e 'installed-packages.list') and (-r 'installed-packages.list') and (-T 'installed-packages.list')) {
        open(packs,'<installed-packages.list');
        print "reading 'installed-packages.list' file...\n";
        while(<packs>) { # for each line in the installed-packages list file,
            $rawpack=$_; # save the line into a variable.
            @cutpacks=split(/\s/,$rawpack,2); # split() the line into two
            if($cutpacks[1] =~ /install/) { # IF the presently selected package is INSTALLED currently
                $cleanpacks=$cleanpacks." ".$cutpacks[0]; # then add the package name into our 'CLEAN' packlist variable
            }
            # otherwise it will be listed as DEINSTALL and is not installed/has been removed, hence we don't want/need to remember it !!
        } # after we've finished READING the file to deal with each package name, we want to clean it up. so...
        print "closing 'installed-packages.list'...\n"; # alert the user to what's happening at this moment in time (good practice)
        close(packs); # close the file for good practice
        print "cleaning up installed packages list...\n";
        print "loading 'installed-packages.list' for writing...\n";
        open(packs,'>installed-packages.list'); # re-open the file for rewriting with the chopped up and formatted list of installed packages,
        printf packs $cleanpacks; # re-write the file with the cleaned-up version of our package list
        close(packs); # and then close the file for good pactice
        print "'installed-packages.list' has been re-written in a nicer format =]\n"; # alert the user to the success...
    }
    else { # IF the list file doesn't exist, isn't readable OR isn't a text file, then alert the user. (this is incase the user edits the file
        # whether it be by accident or not. also useful if messing with the code >_<
        print "'installed-packages.list' file could not be read. please ensure that this program and 'packup' script are in the same directory, and that you haven't modified the 'installed-packages.list' file. The file must meet three qualifications for passing through this program's tidyup-\n+ It must EXIST\n+ It must be READABLE\n+ It must be a TEXT FILE\n\nIf you used 'packup' then there shouldn't be anything wrong. Make sure it is in a directory you have permission to read/write in, and if the problem persists then contact me for support-\ndarksider\@swedger.com\n\nThanks!!\n";
    }
    print "packer.pl program exiting...\n"; # print a little exiting message so the user knows the perl part is exiting
    print "- - - - - - - - -\n"; # print a little line-break type thing to make it look nice in terminal
    then, copy and paste the following bit of code and save it, this time, into packup (no file extension, just call the file 'packup' without the quotes!!)
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    ##       this script packs up a list of all installed packages       ##
    ## and saves them in a file in a format readable by 'unpack' script. ##
    ##          you can also use the contents of the file to just         ##
    ##                        apt-get install <package-list>         ##
    ## -->  the aptly named 'packer.pl' == which is a PERL program   <-- ##
    ## -->  used to edit the output of the dpkg command that lists   <-- ##
    ## -->  all installed programs on the machine running the script <-- ##

clear
    echo "packup bash script v1.0"
    echo "createdBy Darksider"
    echo "websiteUrl www.swedger.com"
    echo "this script utilises 'packer.pl', which was also created by me =]"
    echo "- - - - - - - - -"
    dpkg --get-selections > installed-packages.list
    perl packer.pl
    echo "thanks for using my code!!"
    echo "--> darksider <--"
    echo ""
    --- --- ---

now, when i fix up this post and give more info and possibly a TUTORIAL, i will show you how to make your own personal bin folder to put custom scripts and such into, so that they are easier to use and get to.
    but for now, use the following command, replacing <directory tree here> with the directions to the directory where you have put your two new scripts.
    Code:
    cd <directory tree here>
    for instance, if you made packer.pl and packup on your desktop, then you would type-
    Code:
    cd /home/<your ubuntu username>/Desktop>
    if you still don't get it, when I log into my ubuntu laptop, i click on my username which is billy and then i type my password.
    so if i was running this command, i would type the following into my terminal-
    Code:
    cd /home/billy/Desktop
    so, now that you are in the directory, type the following and watch in amazement as my code works for your every whim! mwuahahahahaha.... *cough* sorry bout that...

Code:
    chmod +x packup   [HIT ENTER]
    packup                   [HIT ENTER]
    hope you liked this!!
    please leave me lots of comments, whether they be good or bad. just ensure it is constructive criticism!!!!!!!!!

peace all, i will check back tomorrow.

-billy-
    [lonewaster/darksider]
    looks interesting. i ahe previously used aptoncd, which puts the list into an .iso file, then you can use aptoncd to restore that iso to a fresshly installed system. the thing I always want is an automated backup option for when a new version of ubuntu comes out and I would rather do a fresh install, tehn merely install all the apps I had in karmic into lucid and ALSO their respoective config files. BUT a diff would need to be run in case the package maintainers added new options within the configs. Example would be samba smb.conf or sshd_config etc etc. I know I can back up my /home/ foldfer and blindly restore that but that doesn't haev a lot of the changes made within /etc/ and possibly other places.

anyway, I noticed your script was last edited in August of 2010. Did you time travel into the future? just kidding. thanks for the scripts.

Beans

rofl
    im from scotland, and over here we write the date day/month/year =P

thanks for the input, i will be sure and link you when my package comes out, as i hope to provide help for JUST that very purpose.
    see, my new laptop doesn't seem to like linux nearly as much as me- crashing quite alot.
    now that i upgraded to a fresh 64bit install with full 500.1GB partition, it only crashes once every now-and-then but still..
    Acer Aspire 5732Z 4GB RAM, 500GB HD & Duo Core Intel Pentium T4400 2.4GHz.
    anyways, i really appreciate the input and i will be sure to address any package configuration problems that arise from the use of my bashscript//perlapp

cheers!!

-billy-

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Code:
    lasher@mac-win-lin:~/Backup$ cd /home/lasher/Backup
    lasher@mac-win-lin:~/Backup$ chmod +x packup
    lasher@mac-win-lin:~/Backup$ packup
    No command 'packup' found, did you mean:
     Command 'plackup' from package 'libplack-perl' (universe)
     Command 'backup' from package 'openafs-client' (universe)
    packup: command not found
    lasher@mac-win-lin:~/Backup$
    This is what I get in Natty.

Is there a way I can get
    Code:
    aptitude search '?installed ?not(?automatic)'
    to output to a txt file?
    Quad Boot MSI-WIND u100+ |Natty|Win7|LMDE|SnOSX|

Beans
    Distro

to get anything output into a text file you would use
    Code:
    >
    so example would be
    Code:
    aptitude search '?installed ?not(?automatic)' > filename.txt
    but, if you followed his directions all packup is is a bash script, if it's not in your "path" then you need to run it like this
    Code:
    ./packup
    +here's some info from a bash help sheet
    Remember, a unix system will only only look for commands or scripts in the directories in your search path. So the system looks for the "packup" command in the directories /usr/bin and /bin, doesn't find it and returns the error message.
    "command not found"
    +Run the script with the command:
    ./packup
    which means: run packup from the current directory

Hope this helped, good luck

Beans

Script worked great!

One suggestion for the future: An analogous tool for installed sources!

I use a bunch of PPA's, so a two step "expedited install" process could clone the repositories, and then clone the installed applications!

Beans
    Distro

haven't seen this thread in forever, is this guys script still supported? Curious, doesn't aptoncd do what this script does?