Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows version of a compiz plugin

Beans

Windows version of a compiz plugin

hi!

I'm doing a presentation on linux for my school, and compiz is coming on as a demonstration of things that windows can't do (among other things, of course). But since I don't want to look like an idiot when someone comes up and says, "Hey, windows does that too!" I was wondering if there was a 3rd party app that gives windows the aquarium look from the compiz atlantis plugin.

My search so far has turned up nothing, but that doesn't mean much.

Thank you for your time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Windows version of a compiz plugin

Quote Originally Posted by malachi1990 View Post
    hi!

I'm doing a presentation on linux for my school, and compiz is coming on as a demonstration of things that windows can't do (among other things, of course).
    I don't think compiz is an integral part of Linux. Besides, its GPLed. If someone really wanted, they can port the code to Windows.
    The DRUNKS - For Your Inner Drunk

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

From what I can hear the latest windows (+30 bucks to a 3rd party) will give you a cube, not sure weather it actually functions or not (Multi desktop windows? That'll be the day)

The point you need to make is that everything windows has, it stole from linux.

The XP theme change, the vista theme change, the 7 theme change, were all stolen straight from Gnome, compiz and KDE respectivley (All of which had these at least a year before windows)

If you want to impress, google "Hack school computer" and demonstrate the 30 second route to getting an admin account on windows (Test it first, school security varies)

Gnome Shell would be impressive I think, but you shoulden't focus on flash, everyone thinks windows is flashier anyway... Despite the facts...

Show them a live CD "And this ladies and gentlemen, hasn't been installed yet..."

Show a couple of windows games working (Get someone with WoW to setup their account on it for example)

Demonstrate the package manager, if all this fails, you are in 6th grade

Also, If you want to get down & dirty, run multiple Xs, then just ctrl alt F1-F7 your way through them to demonstrate features...

I use terminator as my desktop (Lots of cheap hacks, don't ask) which looks cool... (Screenie follows...)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by J V; April 7th, 2010 at 08:20 PM.
    Comitas. Brevitas. Nulla ambitio.

Beans

@whiskeylover: True enough, but the point is more linux/oss as a platform.

Part of the presentation quality is focusing on the awsomeness of what can be done. The closest thing on windows that I've found is dexpot, which can give you virtual desktops and a cube, but no atlantis.

@JV: hacking is against the EULA here (yes, I had to sign a EULA to get internet here). That, and it'd be a bad example if the tech support student manager hacked the school from time to time.

Already had the live cd idea, but the trick is that I have to use a projector, and there's no gurantee that VESA/nouveau will be good enough to work both my laptop screen, and what's on the projector.
    Last edited by malachi1990; April 7th, 2010 at 08:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Throught you were a student? ah nvm, besides, they may say hacking is against the rules but the exact proper phrase for it is "cracking" so you can get around it one way or another

Beans
    Hidden!

Nimi Visuals, google it.

Beans

I am a student. We have a student manager, and a faculty manager. I handle most student issues, while the faculty manager handles issues with school staff and faculty (obviously, and I report to the faculty advisor, too).

While there are likely ways to get around cracking, and call it hacking, I like the paycheck each month.

@Psumi: thanks!
    Last edited by malachi1990; April 7th, 2010 at 08:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Wow take a look at the LAG

Make a video of the demonstration while doing it, show the effects at the end, then show the video you made and demonstrate the fact its getting > 60 fps

Better yet, make a video showing their jelly windows video, inside wobbly windows, and then look at the date for the compiz plugin and the release date for "nimi" and when someone brings it up, laugh at them diabolically and pop up the video
    Last edited by J V; April 7th, 2010 at 08:33 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by J V View Post
    Wow take a look at the LAG

Make a video of the demonstration while doing it, show the effects at the end, then show the video you made and demonstrate the fact its getting > 60 fps

Better yet, make a video showing their jelly windows video, inside wobbly windows, and then look at the date for the compiz plugin and the release date for "nimi" and when someone brings it up, laugh at them diabolically and pop up the video
    You lost me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

G! dpu s:++ a C+++ UL++ P L+++ !E W+++ N+ o? K- W-- O- M- V- PS+ PE- Y+ PGP t- 5 X+ R* tv-- b DI- D- G e+ h+ r--- y+

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast