Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antivirus for Wine apps?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Antivirus for Wine apps?

Well, since Wine is running all my windows programs which does sometimes connect to the internet to download patches and updates, i would like to know if there's a way to check programs in wine for presence of viruses (i hate to use that term! linux is such a peace of mind thing!)

any antivirus for wine apps?

Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit), AMD Athlon X2 240, 4GB (800Mhz) DDR2 RAM, Motherboard - BIOSTAR GF8200C M2+

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Antivirus for Wine apps?

Use AVG Free Edition for Windows?

Seriously, use Windows antivirus on wine, it'll work. Oh and,

remove Z: drive that maps your entire filesystem for wine. Otherwise your antivirus may do some damage to your linux portion.

The Z: drive mapping / is only for the ease of use... removing it disallows wine to execute windows apps anywhere but .wine/drive_c

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Psumi View Post
    Use AVG Free Edition for Windows?

Seriously, use Windows antivirus on wine, it'll work. Oh and,

remove Z: drive that maps your entire filesystem for wine. Otherwise your antivirus may do some damage to your linux portion.

The Z: drive mapping / is only for the ease of use... removing it disallows wine to execute windows apps anywhere but .wine/drive_c
    thanks.

if i remove z mapping i wouldnt be able to open say a .exe file after i downloaded something right? i would have to move it to the Z: folder and then run it, isnt it?

btw avg has a 'live' thing right? where it would run in the system area. would that also work in linux?

Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit), AMD Athlon X2 240, 4GB (800Mhz) DDR2 RAM, Motherboard - BIOSTAR GF8200C M2+

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by arnab_das View Post
    thanks.

if i remove z mapping i wouldnt be able to open say a .exe file after i downloaded something right? i would have to move it to the Z: folder and then run it, isnt it?
    No, you have to move the exe into .wine/drive_c then run it there by using the wine command from terminal.

btw avg has a 'live' thing right? where it would run in the system area. would that also work in linux?
    Don't know if WINE forwards its systray to linux's systray.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Lucid Beta 2 powered Studio 15 (Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz, 3 GB RAM, HD 3450) & Windows XP powered Scaleo E (Celeron D 3.06GHz, 1.5GB RAM, Intel GMA 915G). Please see Ubuntu Tutorials (my YouTube channel).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

also one more question (bear with me), can a windows virus damage my linux filesystem? i use ext4, so i guess windows viruses wont be able to do any damage to it right?

@Psumi, do u use antivirus for wine apps?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by tom66 View Post
    Those are only a handful of hundreds of thousands of viruses/malware.

Quote Originally Posted by arnab_das View Post
    also one more question (bear with me), can a windows virus damage my linux filesystem? i use ext4, so i guess windows viruses wont be able to do any damage to it right?
    Yes, they can, if granted appropriate access.

@Psumi, do u use antivirus for wine apps?
    No, I don't use wine at the moment. I don't use wine for IM programs or web browsers, so I'm safe pretty much.

Beans

You could use ClamAV too. Its main purpose is to detect Windows viruses.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Psumi View Post
    No, you have to move the exe into .wine/drive_c then run it there by using the wine command from terminal.
    Don't know if WINE forwards its systray to linux's systray.
    You CAN run it from outside a wineprefix but you have to set the prefix first (I believe along the lines of env WINEPREFIX="dir/to/wine/prefix" wine "appname.exe")

I woulden't run a windows virus afk, just kill the wineserver when you're done with it, scan it occasionally with clam, and run the antivirus if you need something fixed. Windows AV is notorious for its bigger-than-a-bunch-of-gnome-logos footprint

Btw, please post these things in the help forums people, I'm missing out on beans!
    Comitas. Brevitas. Nulla ambitio.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Chronon View Post
    You could use ClamAV too. Its main purpose is to detect Windows viruses.
    thanks for that. erm i have found this page:

http://www.clamav.net/lang/en/download/

now which do i download? the linux one or the windows one? since i want to detect windows viruses mainly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast