Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Antivirus for Wine apps?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    India
    Beans
    587
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Antivirus for Wine apps?

    Well, since Wine is running all my windows programs which does sometimes connect to the internet to download patches and updates, i would like to know if there's a way to check programs in wine for presence of viruses (i hate to use that term! linux is such a peace of mind thing!)


    any antivirus for wine apps?


    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit), AMD Athlon X2 240, 4GB (800Mhz) DDR2 RAM, Motherboard - BIOSTAR GF8200C M2+

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bullet Hell
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Antivirus for Wine apps?

    Use AVG Free Edition for Windows?

    Seriously, use Windows antivirus on wine, it'll work. Oh and,

    remove Z: drive that maps your entire filesystem for wine. Otherwise your antivirus may do some damage to your linux portion.

    The Z: drive mapping / is only for the ease of use... removing it disallows wine to execute windows apps anywhere but .wine/drive_c

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    India
    Beans
    587
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Antivirus for Wine apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by Psumi View Post
    Use AVG Free Edition for Windows?

    Seriously, use Windows antivirus on wine, it'll work. Oh and,

    remove Z: drive that maps your entire filesystem for wine. Otherwise your antivirus may do some damage to your linux portion.

    The Z: drive mapping / is only for the ease of use... removing it disallows wine to execute windows apps anywhere but .wine/drive_c
    thanks.

    if i remove z mapping i wouldnt be able to open say a .exe file after i downloaded something right? i would have to move it to the Z: folder and then run it, isnt it?

    btw avg has a 'live' thing right? where it would run in the system area. would that also work in linux?


    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit), AMD Athlon X2 240, 4GB (800Mhz) DDR2 RAM, Motherboard - BIOSTAR GF8200C M2+

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bullet Hell
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Antivirus for Wine apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by arnab_das View Post
    thanks.

    if i remove z mapping i wouldnt be able to open say a .exe file after i downloaded something right? i would have to move it to the Z: folder and then run it, isnt it?
    No, you have to move the exe into .wine/drive_c then run it there by using the wine command from terminal.

    btw avg has a 'live' thing right? where it would run in the system area. would that also work in linux?
    Don't know if WINE forwards its systray to linux's systray.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    484
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Antivirus for Wine apps?

    Lucid Beta 2 powered Studio 15 (Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz, 3 GB RAM, HD 3450) & Windows XP powered Scaleo E (Celeron D 3.06GHz, 1.5GB RAM, Intel GMA 915G). Please see Ubuntu Tutorials (my YouTube channel).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    India
    Beans
    587
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Antivirus for Wine apps?

    also one more question (bear with me), can a windows virus damage my linux filesystem? i use ext4, so i guess windows viruses wont be able to do any damage to it right?

    @Psumi, do u use antivirus for wine apps?


    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit), AMD Athlon X2 240, 4GB (800Mhz) DDR2 RAM, Motherboard - BIOSTAR GF8200C M2+

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bullet Hell
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: Antivirus for Wine apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by tom66 View Post
    Those are only a handful of hundreds of thousands of viruses/malware.

    Quote Originally Posted by arnab_das View Post
    also one more question (bear with me), can a windows virus damage my linux filesystem? i use ext4, so i guess windows viruses wont be able to do any damage to it right?
    Yes, they can, if granted appropriate access.

    @Psumi, do u use antivirus for wine apps?
    No, I don't use wine at the moment. I don't use wine for IM programs or web browsers, so I'm safe pretty much.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Beans
    1,534

    Re: Antivirus for Wine apps?

    You could use ClamAV too. Its main purpose is to detect Windows viruses.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Beans
    1,618
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Antivirus for Wine apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by Psumi View Post
    No, you have to move the exe into .wine/drive_c then run it there by using the wine command from terminal.
    Don't know if WINE forwards its systray to linux's systray.
    You CAN run it from outside a wineprefix but you have to set the prefix first (I believe along the lines of env WINEPREFIX="dir/to/wine/prefix" wine "appname.exe")

    I woulden't run a windows virus afk, just kill the wineserver when you're done with it, scan it occasionally with clam, and run the antivirus if you need something fixed. Windows AV is notorious for its bigger-than-a-bunch-of-gnome-logos footprint

    Btw, please post these things in the help forums people, I'm missing out on beans!
    Comitas. Brevitas. Nulla ambitio.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    India
    Beans
    587
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Antivirus for Wine apps?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chronon View Post
    You could use ClamAV too. Its main purpose is to detect Windows viruses.
    thanks for that. erm i have found this page:

    http://www.clamav.net/lang/en/download/

    now which do i download? the linux one or the windows one? since i want to detect windows viruses mainly.


    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit), AMD Athlon X2 240, 4GB (800Mhz) DDR2 RAM, Motherboard - BIOSTAR GF8200C M2+

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •