Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu won't install on ML3109

Beans

Re: Ubuntu won't install on ML3109

Has anyone installed it on an ML3109 and gotten it to boot successfully?

Beans

I have the same laptop. The last Ubuntu version that worked on it was 9.04. Turning off ACPI is a partial solution. I think I've to stick with the Vista SP2 (which now works very good on this machine). In fact, Ubuntu 9.04 is very hard on the CPU on this laptop, whereas Vista SP2 is very easy on the CPU. But I still would like to have Ubuntu or MInt on this laptop. I hope someone find a fix.

Beans

I have the same problem. All other new distributions (Fedora, OpenSuse, etc) do the same thing. The last one that worked was 9.04 . I can use ACPI=off, but it makes the wireless card worthless.
    Last edited by Devz0r; May 18th, 2010 at 05:17 PM.

Beans

I just tried LinuxMint 9. Just as I expected it didn't boot. However, I found a very nice troubleshooting help on their wiki. If anyone still interested, here is the link: http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index....g_your_Live_CD. Since linuxmint is based on Ubuntu, anything that works on Linuxmint should work on Ubuntu too. I haven't tried the troubleshooting directions yet. If someone find a solution, please let us know.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Has anyone made any progress on this ?

I wanted to install Lucid to a fiends Gateway ML3109 for them and ran into this.

It always hangs for me at loading the root file system with default boot options. Changing/adding boot options get me a little farther sometimes but still the hang seems to be related to reading the CD.

I was able to boot up to desktop one time with 64bit iso but it froze after a short time.

Hardy and Jaunty disks boot OK

Lucid Alternate same hang.

Also hung on USB stick (long story)

From what I've read here and elsewhere it seems like it would be safe to install 9.04 but I hate to set her up with and end of life this fall if there is no hope for Lucid on this particular machine.

I realize I'm not providing details but I'm writing from memory and not near the Gateway now. I just wanted to give this thread a bump in case someone has a solution.

I can't find a bug report on launchpad - If there really isn't one I will try to find the time to submit one but I'm afraid my friend may get impatient with the process and stay with Vista.

Given the state of the machine virus wise when I got it I think she would be much safer with Ubuntu.

Beans

I have a gateway ml3109 as well that I just bought secondhand and I can't install any recent version of ubuntu beyond 9.04. My system loads for a bit on 9.10, then freezes or freezes the mouse. It won't even bother loading 10.04.

I tried installing from CD's and that didn't work. I then tried via USB, but that didn't work (both attempts resulted in freezing). So I decided to install 9.04 and upgrade all the way to 10.04. I got as far as installing 9.10 on it but it just freezes after the desktop loads.

I tried installing mint (I think it was 8: helenica) but the CD would just freeze as well.

I test my HDD: passed. Ram: passed. Is it the video card? I have an ati radeon xpress 200m, is that causing all my headaches?

I need answers guys! Please!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanRRogers View Post
    I have used Ubuntu successfully on my Gateway ML3109, but when I tried to use the Karmic and Lucid Live systems, I encountered similar problems to what you describe. However, experimenting with boot parameters, I seem to have discovered that adding "irqpoll noapic nolapic acpi=off" to the kernel command line makes it stable.

Notice that all of those can be selected from the CD boot menu by hitting F6 except "irqpoll" so you'll probably have to type them all manually. I'm not sure yet if all four are necessary on my system, but "irqpoll" and "acpi=off" seem especially important.

i was having the exact same problem with my ml3109. I tried to install with acpi=off noapic at one point i had everything under mode checked.

after reading this post i tried just running acpi=off and irqpoll and its finally installing. good post bud.

also, when runing the gui on backtrack 4 ive found that it hangs with cursor too unless i run fix-vesa first. id bet the two work arounds are related if that helps anyone track down the issue.

thx again excellent post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by rkain View Post

after reading this post i tried just running acpi=off and irqpoll and its finally installing.
    Just wondering, after installing with acpi=off are you able to run the new install with default kernel options or do you have to run permanently with acpi=off & irqpoll?

Can you suspend to ram & resume successfully?

I set up a friends ML3109 with 9.04 and would like to be able to get an LTS version on it.

Beans

I am experiencing the same problem with an ASUS M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3 mobo. 8.10 installs fine. But when I try to install 10.04 or 10.10 (or VL6 SOHO) I get the same thing. I get to the install part and my DVD Rom drive spins to a halt and nothing happens. Just black screen.

Odd that 8.10 would install and not 10.04 or 10.10. What changed between the two that would cause this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

All working versions after Hardy are now no longer supported. Hardy dies in a few months. I cant believe that the Ubuntu community is going to allow our machines to go unsupported. It's still a very healthy and viable box but I'll make it a paper weight before I go back to windows.

So this is my whiney bump... any thoughts? How do I go about lighting a fire at launchpad or at Ubuntu?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast