Thread: microphone stops working activating the webcam

Beans

microphone stops working activating the webcam

Hi all,

I've just installed Ubuntu Karmic on a HP pavilion AMD 64 bit.

I've a weird problem: the microphone works good, but using skype 2.1 beta, it stops working when I activate my webcam. Even after restarting skype, the microphone doesn't work. To make the microphone work, it seems to me that I've to reboot.

How can I use both the microphone and the webcam without problems?

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: microphone stops working activating the webcam

Does your webcam have a mic as well as the one that stops working, ie, have you got two mics?

If so you may need to use "mic select" in the pulse configuration, or even in alsamixer.

Beans

Hi,

I've just one mic: The only mic that I have is the one integrated with the webcam.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi there!
    This may lead you somewhere:
    http://forum.skype.com/topic/495591-...de-4-4-beta-1/

I know it talks about KDE, but I have both U and Kubuntu and have the same issue, it is definitely related to flash because the same happens when you open a web browser. In may case, I can run Skype fine; as soon as I open a web browser, the mic dies.
    Let's work on it I'll follow this post, here's my description if you're interested and gives you some clues as to how to proceed:
    http://wwww.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1452145

Beans

I had a similar problem with my netbook running the UNR. I downloaded the Pulse Audio device chooser (it will put a couple of programs on your machine) and then if you find your input device under the audio chooser, make sure that its only a single stream, most built in mics aren't multi channel. So unlock them and then figure which channel its working on, and thats how i fixed my problem. If the other solutions presented don't work you can try that, it worked for me.