Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WoW problem... with my sincere apologies

Beans

Unhappy WoW problem... with my sincere apologies

Okay guys,
    I know you receive this question every other day, but I'm going out of my mind here and this is my last resort.

I've been trying to install World of Warcraft Battle Chest on Ubuntu 9.10, and have been unsuccessful. I've tried every single fix in every WoW problem thread I've run across, but keep hitting the same brick wall.

The installer is read-only. I've tried
    sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/x /media/yand that doesn't work worth a hoot... i'm not even sure what it does, other than that it somehow allows you to see something other than just the Installer.

I'm completely lost, and the documentation available doesn't seem to be of much help (the WoW section of WineHQ is labelled obsolete).

HALP! :S

Beans

Re: WoW problem... with my sincere apologies

deleted by me because of stupid
    Last edited by ginsong; April 6th, 2010 at 01:23 AM. Reason: I didn't read carefully enough. :)

Beans

But first post still applies. I have no idea how to run the installer.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ginsong View Post
    But first post still applies. I have no idea how to run the installer.

i just installed wow and ubuntu. did you download and install wine? it's like a virtual windows client. actually pretty cool. i got the information on the best way to install with that.

If you did install it i apologize.. you didn't say which packages you have installed. if that's the case, just rightclick your installer and run with wine. :} hope that helps.. but everything i did came from these forums.. helped alot. hope you can find your help too

Beans

Aye, yeah--I have Wine. I also downloaded PlayOnLinux and tried numerous guides to install the WoW BattleChest, to no avail.

The problem centers around an inability to modify Installer.exe, because it is read-only, and I haven't found any way (except one, mentioned below) to change that. Not only this, but all the files on the disc are hidden except for Installer.exe.

I found something online (I am away from my home computer right now so I don't have the exact terminal commands in front of me) that allowed me to unhide the files on the WoW discs and allow me to transfer the install files to a folder on the desktop, but when I install it through PlayOnLinux, it won't change to the second DVD (or at least, I don't how to switch its focus, if that makes sense)

Without those commands to unhide and unlock the files, it says it can't find any files to install with.

When it is unlocked and the other install files are unhidden, and I try to install direct from the DVD, it says that it is unable to create a temporary folder.

When I try to install it from the desktop (after copying) it eventually asks for disc two, and I can't seem to get it to recognize my second folder that represents the second disc.

I'd like to try making an ISO from it, but since it is read-only, I dunno how to do this. Re-installing Windows would be so much easier than this. >

Beans

i don't know what all you've done.. but the thing i did was just move the file from the download folder to a new file i made on the desktop. my installer properties says read and write and i can change it if i wish. make sure you're the admin.. should be prompting you with those keys you made when you installed ubuntu?

don't try installing it straight from the download,, try moving it from that folder to the new one and then rightclicking the .exe file from there and open with wine windows program loader. you can't change it from the .exe because that's the way it's supposed to be. it's just ubuntu isn't recognizing it. wine is kind of a ghost drive :} does any of this help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Angry Re: WoW problem... with my sincere apologies

I am having the same problems!!! I have Ubuntu 9.10... I have tried these guides...

http://www.fsckin.com/2007/12/20/how...ux-using-wine/

http://www.wowwiki.com/World_of_Warc...nality_on_Wine (i am not sure how to
    use the right file directory)

and i have also tried using PlayOnLinux....

I have tried from the CDs, both download clients from WoW.. and all the Youtube and forum guides I have found!!! What can I do?

After I install, I have a variety of errors, such as... crashing when you run WoW, installer not working properly, when you load the game to play (after installed) the installer popping up, asking you to install, like you never did, and the "I agree" button not working after using this link to client: http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/downl...downloader.exe

S.O.S.

Beans

Back to Windows for me. Nothing online has helped, so I guess I'll have to wait until Ubuntu or WINE figures out a way to get the Battlechest to work. Thanks anyway, guys. :\

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I installed WOW by copying the folder from my windows install to a folder in Linux. I play WOW on Linux now because my Vista kept crashing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Smile Re: WoW problem... with my sincere apologies

go to your Blizzard account management screen and download the install client. the 'battlechest' as you refer to it is just a bundled version, right? basically the client download (or any wrath of the lich king dvd) will do the full install for you without the fuss of dealing with multiple versions.

remember, all of your information is basically on their servers. you simply have a library housed locally; ie. even if you only have BC youre still on patch 3.3.3 . anyway, run the installer client from Blizzard and it will download about 7.5 gigs and install them, then it will run updater and patch you to current (if you have problems during patching you might look into downloading the patches individually). but for installation ditch the battle chest cd as long as you still have your subscription.
    ---
    Sys76 Gazelle Pro: i7-4700MQ // 16 gig RAM // 240 gig mSATA + 1T // SS 13.10
    Home Built Desktop: i7 920 // 16 gig RAM // DX58SO // Thermaltake850 // ATI4870 // SS13.10&Vista64

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast