Page 4 of 60 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum Layout Organization

Beans

Re: Forum Layout Organization

Has there always been a "mark forum read" button? I've been wishing there was one for a long time, but never took the time to look for it. On the topic of things that are either new, or I'm too dumb to notice is the "goto page" button. I love this idea.

I like how the beginner section is now the first one. That should help the new members.
    Last edited by jasay; March 15th, 2006 at 06:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

also I'm not too sure which font this is using - but I find it hard to read small text like that unless it's in some sort of sans font (without the lil sticky out bits)

An Example

Regards,
    Mez
    Backports Lead & MOTU

Beans

1. The home page indeed looks cleaner and more organized EXCEPT if you are using the Kubuntu theme.
    2. The whitespaces at the sides are indeed a waste of space. If you're using the Kubuntu theme, these don't appear.
    3. Can you please return the posting time on the thread lists? (Like what matthew said) EDIT: also the column for who wrote the last post.
    4. I think there still should be a sort of separation in the Community Cafe: everything official on the top (Forum Announcements, Official Ubuntu Announcements, Official Security Announcements) and the rest below. No need for another sub group. If you could just visually separate these two groups (an empty space, a line, etc).
    5. Will the Kubuntu theme also be updated (i just love blue, sorry )

These last two are not really directly related to the new layout, but still related:
    1. In the Ubuntu/Kubuntu 5.10 Support sections, why must there be a separate "Desktop Support" section?
    2. Is there no possibility (in the future at least) to merge the two "Gaming Support" sections? I find it a bit strange to have 2 separate sections for that, even if there are some games that are GNOME or KDE specific, most of the concerns are practically the same (doom, UT, NWN, etc). EDIT: I seem to have repeated what NeoChaosX said... )

@mstlyevil: not only does the Kubuntu theme fill the entire screen, the layout of the front page is completely different (well, it's the same as the old Kubuntu theme before the forums went down). In the Default theme, the sub-sections are presented in a list, while in the Kubuntu theme, they form one huge sentence with commas...
    Last edited by Jucato; March 15th, 2006 at 06:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I added a couple more comments to my post above.
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost...3&postcount=17
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I don't like the fact that everything is centered now. It feels like a lot of space is being wasted. That's my biggest gripe.

Also, the main page is too long vertically now imo. If possible, can something be implemented so that subforum lists can be expanded and contracted? It would help to have this remembered so that the same subforums that were expanded on a user's last visit get expanded everytime a user opens up to ubtunforums.org.

Beans

As i think the layout "looks" better and more organized, i just find it less enjoyable to read and hard on my eyes.

We need to find a middleground i think.

Beans

Looks nice, a couple things though:

1. The "Last Post"/"Replies"/"Views" headers in the forums are mixed up. As of now, the number of replies is under last post, and the number of views is under Replies. The views column is empty.

2. A lot of people read the Dapper forums, but who reads the "Development Archives"?? I think the Dapper forums should take the spot of the Development Archives, where it is given prominience, and the Development Archives should be a small link which brings you to all the old development forums. And of course this would change after Dapper is released.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Um...I must ask, why did you make the size fixed? It looks absolutely horrible at the resolution I run at, 1600x1200.

Would it be possible to allow users to choose a different style that's a little larger? Like designed for 1280x960 screens?

-Wild
    Last edited by WildTangent; March 15th, 2006 at 06:59 AM.

Beans

Just a reminder - we're looking for input here, we'll answer questions later.

here's what I have a summary of so far:

• some do not like the fixed-width setting.
    • the subforums under each section are nice, but create a longer scroll.
    • the latest post at the side of each forum was nicer than having the ten latest posted threads at the bottom of the page.
    ??? :: ubuntu is my OS soul mate
    UDSF :: Forum Policies :: Unanswered Posts :: Ruby :: Donate
    official ubuntu member
    :: ??????? :: so say we all

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Previous layout was good as it gave a chance to view who wrote the last message.

Check out this forum......I like it.

http://www.fatwallet.com/c/18/

I think, there should be an option to switch between whatever form you want. I like the previous style. So an ability to switch between different dtyles would be the best.

Page 4 of 60 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast