Thread: Few small problems: help a dummy, increase your karma

Beans

Few small problems: help a dummy, increase your karma

Hey dudes, still enoying my Ubuntu experience. Considering deleting windows for good which I never thought I'd do, so +1 for that.

Two things are bugging me and I can't figure out how to fix them:

The first one is in the top panel, to the far right side, I can't figure out how to remove the chat bubble and username without removing the handy dandy power button that is in the top corner. Whenever I click on 'Remove from panel' it takes both away, even though they seem to be seperately clickable.

Second thing is I tried to customise my keyboard shortuts through System - Preferences - keyboard shortcuts. None of them worked, though. I wanted to launch VLC with Shift[, web browser with Shift\ and close program with Shift, but none of these keys work. Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading, appreciate the time you've taken.

Cheers,

Tiger

Beans

Re: Few small problems: help a dummy, increase your karma

For the first issue, they are one applet called Indicator-Session. There is a standalone power button and logout button available as well.

As for keyboard shortcuts, make sure you are using the correct command to launch the program. Commands are listed under /usr/bin/.

Beans

Re: Few small problems: help a dummy, increase your karma

Since I don't know what you mean with question one (I can only say that the username is linked to the power button) I will skip to question two.

It is actually not very advisable to use Shift + something as general command since e.g. Shift + , = < on my keyboard. If you have a Super (windows) button on you keyboard why not use this and make the combination Super + ,
    This should then actually work.
    Warning! Ubuntu might cause smashed Windows. Are you sure you want to continue? [y/n] y