Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building HTPC.. Should I build Server for movies too?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Building HTPC.. Should I build Server for movies too?

I plan to build HTPC, I post about it few month ago.

Initially I was thinking to put inside a large 1TB or 2TB 3.5" HardDrive (inside of my HTPC)... but now I am kind of not sure.

Should I get a small, 2.5" harddrive for Linux and XBMC? (for HTPC)

And then build a server for storing all movies, music..etc (have it in garage somewhere).

But I never built a server before and not sure how it will work. Will I able to stream from that server HD movies to my HTPC?

If I will have a server, my HTPC doesn't really needs a lot of space, right? Just enough for OS files, XBMC and other applications, if any.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Building HTPC.. Should I build Server for movies too?

I had thought of building one and using Opensolaris as a base. OSol has the moovidia media manager and ZFS. Basically, I'd make the server and HTPC in one using moovidia as the front end and with zfs I could stripe a few terabyte drives as one device. Osol also has the added benefit of literal one-click backups and a self healing fs. Very stable filesystem, easy backups, Great front end.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Yes! There are many advantages to a centralized storage server, the biggest in htpc setups in my opinion is you can have the freedom to expand as much as you want with a huge case lots of hard drives, etc. All that noise and heat is kept out of the way and htpc clients can be kept small and quiet as they should be.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

If you've got the cash, go for it. Definitely worth it.
    Ubuntu is not a mission. It is an operating system. If Windows or OS X works for somebody, good for them.

Beans
    Hidden!

get a few 1.5tb best bang for your buck and use xbmc. i wouldn't worry about using a server just make sure you get a case with some room inside and lots of sata ports. it's all about the case and video card when it comes to noise. my case is really quiet and my video card nvidia gt210 is fanless so no noise there and make sure you get low powered hard drives. 5800rpm.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

What do you think I would need for this? What kind of parts (other than HadDrive )... what kind of speed for CPU.. etc

So XBMC can automatically connect to that server (assuming its on) and browse through all the files on there (movies)?

I also like the idea of center server since I can also use it from my desktop, if I will want to watch movies from there.
    Last edited by Kdar; April 4th, 2010 at 09:48 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm currently using XBMC for my media center, and a seperate server for storing media files. I'm currently using 750Gib of 2Tib, so I still have lots of room for expansion.

My media center pc has a 160Gib HD, but all that's on it is the os. One of these days I'll install a much smaller drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I'm currently using XBMC for my media center, and a seperate server for storing media files. I'm currently using 750Gib of 2Tib, so I still have lots of room for expansion.

My media center pc has a 160Gib HD, but all that's on it is the os. One of these days I'll install a much smaller drive.
    Could you post the specs for your Server? I am thinking to do something like you too.

If I remember correctly you use Atom for your HTPC, right?

Your XBMC can automatically connect to that server and you can browse all movies and what not on there?

Beans
    Hidden!

i would go with a low powered cpu 45 nm. make sure you get a nvidia card. then you can use vdpau. 2 gigs of ram is enough xbmc runs better with the 32bit version. xbmc does a great job of connecting to servers. guess it's the way your gonna have it setup in your place, but i don't see a need for a server myself.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'd go with an Atom for the HTPC, something nicer for the server. Maybe a Solid State drive in the HTPC, for quiet and quick boots?
    Ubuntu is not a mission. It is an operating system. If Windows or OS X works for somebody, good for them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast