Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to burn audio CD with ogg files using GnomeBaker

Beans

Question Unable to burn audio CD with ogg files using GnomeBaker

For the longest I have been unable to burn an audio CD that contains ogg files with GnomeBaker, and have always had to decode to wav manually. Well I'm tired of doing that, so want to get to the bottom of the problem.

Upon adding an ogg file to the file list, the error I receive is:

"The plugin to handle a file of type audio/ogg is not installed."

I have all the gstreamer0.10-plugins-[base|bad|good|ugly] packages installed.

I can play an .ogg file with rhythmbox.

Using gconf-editor, /system/gstreamer/0.10/audio/profiles/cdlossy is "active" and the cdlossy profile is listed in /system/gstreamer/0.10/audio/global/profile_list

At a loss on what I need to do.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Unable to burn audio CD with ogg files using GnomeBaker

Without installing Gnomebaker i'm not sure, but Brasero works fine for me burning ogg files.
    I've checked in synaptic to see what I have installed.
    "vorbis-tools, libogg0, python-mutagen, libtheora0, & libvorbis0a" are all installed as well as ubuntu-restricted-extras.
    See if you have all these installed, if not one of them might help.
    Otherwise use Brasero.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cottfcfan View Post
    Without installing Gnomebaker i'm not sure, but Brasero works fine for me burning ogg files.
    I've checked in synaptic to see what I have installed.
    "vorbis-tools, libogg0, python-mutagen, libtheora0, & libvorbis0a" are all installed as well as ubuntu-restricted-extras.
    See if you have all these installed, if not one of them might help.
    Otherwise use Brasero.
    Brasero can add my ogg files to the project. But I always had a problem with Brasero crashing during the burn process.

PS: I also already had all those packages installed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Ive just installed Gnomebaker and i see what you mean.
    there's obviously some codec missing but i can't find it.
    Maybe some other forum member can help.

Beans

So you can confirm that you also receive the same error when adding an ogg file?

Should have mentioned, I'm using GnomeBaker 0.6.4 and gstreamer 0.10 on Karmic. Straight from apt-get installs. Even did a GnomeBaker build from source with the same error.

Beans

Well, since I had the source, I decided to dive in. Found the problem, and it's due to mime-types & how GnomeBaker registers plugins.

Upon initialization in src/media.c, GnomeBaker registers the "vorbisdec" plugin. Running `gst-inspect vorbisdec` verified that I had this plugin installed with gstreamer0.10.

However, when GnomeBaker registers the plugin, the mime-type it registers it for is application/ogg.

If I were to `cat /etc/mime.types | grep ogg`, I see:
    application/ogg ogx
    audio/ogg oga ogg spx
    video/ogg ogv

So basically what was happening was Ubuntu? was telling GnomeBaker you've got an audio/ogg file. But since there's no plugin registered for audio/ogg, it fails & gives you the error.

So I did a quick hack in src/media.c by creating another vorbisdec registration with the audio/ogg mime type & it was successfully able to load the file, correct length and all.

The peculiar thing is that within /usr/share/mime/audio/ogg.xml, there is a:
    <sub-class-of type="application/ogg" />

which I guess links audio/ogg as a subtype of application/ogg, but GnomeBaker just does a basic string comparison of the registered plugin's mime type (app/ogg) and the file's mime type (aud/ogg) and returns good stuff only on a match.

So, assuming the mime type setup is correct (stuff in /usr/share/mime/*) I would say for those having the same problem to just add an extra line in src/media.c to register vorbisdec with mime type audio/ogg:

Code:
        media_register_plugin("audio/ogg", "vorbisdec"); /* I added this line */
        media_register_plugin("application/ogg", "vorbisdec");
    What tipped me off was this trace of messages (looking for audio/ogg but couldn't find a match):
    Code:
    gbcommon_get_mime_type - uri [file:///test.ogg] mime [audio/ogg]
    [0x9120080] [media_get_plugin_status] [media.c] [359]
    media_get_plugin_status - plugin mime_type [application/x-id3] requested [audio/ogg]
    media_get_plugin_status - plugin mime_type [audio/mpeg] requested [audio/ogg]
    media_get_plugin_status - plugin mime_type [audio/x-mp3] requested [audio/ogg]
    media_get_plugin_status - plugin mime_type [application/ogg] requested [audio/ogg]
    media_get_plugin_status - plugin mime_type [application/x-flac] requested [audio/ogg]
    media_get_plugin_status - plugin mime_type [audio/x-flac] requested [audio/ogg]
    media_get_plugin_status - plugin mime_type [application/x-mod] requested [audio/ogg]
    media_get_plugin_status - plugin mime_type [application/x-wav] requested [audio/ogg]
    media_get_plugin_status - plugin mime_type [audio/x-wav] requested [audio/ogg]
    media_get_plugin_status - plugin mime_type [video/x-ms-asf] requested [audio/ogg]
    media_get_plugin_status - plugin mime_type [audio/mp4] requested [audio/ogg]
    media_get_plugin_status - plugin mime_type [audio/x-m4a] requested [audio/ogg]
    media_get_plugin_status - plugin mime_type [audio/x-ms-wma] requested [audio/ogg]
    [0x9120080] [gnomebaker_show_msg_dlg] [gnomebaker.c] [223]
    gnomebaker_show_msg_dlg - message [The plugin to handle a file of type audio/ogg is not installed.]
    I don't know if this is a bug or what or if my system is just misconfigured, but I guess you can say this "solved".
    Last edited by paperplate9; April 4th, 2010 at 11:44 PM.

Beans

Since cat /etc/mime.types|grep ogg says that application/ogg files should have an "ogx" extension, you could also just do that...

1) rename file to ogx
    2) symlink with an ogx extension to the ogg file

Beans

Another pet peeve I've had with GnomeBaker is that when you try to import a playlist, it resets the size of your audio CD to the first option (which is a 20 minute CD).

I found that there's an option you can change to have it default to a certain disk size (for me, that's an 80 minute CD).

/apps/GnomeBaker/AudioDiskSize

is an index into that drop down;

Since "80 min. CD" is option #3 (0-based), if I set AudioDiskSize to 3, whenever I create a new project or import a playlist, the 80 minute CD will be preselected.

One of the many advantages of open-source software.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

paperplate9...
    Well done, don't think i'd have solved that.
    I think other members will benefit from your findings.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cottfcfan View Post
    paperplate9...
    Well done, don't think i'd have solved that.
    I think other members will benefit from your findings.
    Well, I really didn't wanna have to go through all that (hence the reason why I originally posted this thread since I'd been avoiding it so long). But I guess that's the nature of the "beast" (having a problem and not giving up til you find a solution).

I'm still wondering why I haven't found any other instances of this problem as I figured GnomeBaker was popular.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast