Thread: Ubunutu for Ideapad u330

Beans

Ubunutu for Ideapad u330

Hello, I am aware there is a thread confirming that one particular version of the Ideapad u330 works (for the most part). But I figured I would put down my specs here for the model I just recieved in the mail and see if maybe anybody here might be able to tell me if I can do a fresh install of Ubuntu on it.

The specs are:

OS: Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3
    CPU: Pentium Dual-Core T4200 @ 2.0GHz
    GPU: Intel Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
    RAM: 3GB DDR3 RAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory
    HDD: 320gb Serial ATA
    Optical Drive: DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer

Other Spces: 1.3megapixel Camera in lid, 2 Mics for Conferencing on either side of the Webcam.
    Broadcom 11b/g Wi-Fi wireless
    6-in-1 memory card reader
    2 USB 2.0 ports
    VGA Port
    1334 port
    PCi Express? port

Thanks in advance! Oh, and would the 64-bit Ubuntu work well with the current specs?

Beans

Re: Ubunutu for Ideapad u330

Alright, so I did a fresh install of Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit on my laptop. The internal wifi is not being detected by the OS. Is there anyway to to get it to be detected? Also the Ubuntu Software Center will not let me install anything. The 'install' item on the 'File' menu is grayed out when I select an item to install, even when I used a wired connection on the laptop. Help please! I am a new user to Linux in general.
    Last edited by EvilSpants; April 1st, 2010 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Grammatical Errors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Ubunutu for Ideapad u330

Hmm, your specs are quite different from my U330, but I would guess that the problem is the Broadcom Wireless (I have intel on mine). Broadcom has always been a problem spot for linux since they don't release their drivers. I would try googling on the exact specs.

Regarding the ethernet connection. Can you get on the internet?