Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting for the Perfect 10.10 with Maverick Meerkat

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Shooting for the Perfect 10.10 with Maverick Meerkat

My shopping list:
    1. Once Ubuntu One Music Store accounts for a significant enough portion of 7Digital's business, force them to switch to Ogg Vorbis or switch to another provider that's willing to do so.
    2. Get all commercial Linux software into the Ubuntu Software Center. Ensure that all future updates and releases of such software is also available via USC.
    3. Make it easier to develop and distribute software for Ubuntu via the USC, for both commercial and non-commercial purposes.
    4. Open-source the server side of Ubuntu One.
    5. Expand on the Ubuntu One offerings.
    6. Offer Ubuntu installation media for sale. I know I'd love to own an official Ubuntu 10.04 CD, and am willing to pay a few dollars for a bunch.
    7. Offer Ubuntu installation media for sale, but with many extras thrown in to bring up the price to 125 USD. See solution #8 here: Ubuntu needs to find a way for making "profit"!
    8. Expand the selection of official Ubuntu offerings onto more devices, such as televisions and handhelds.
    9. Improve networking between Ubuntu machines.
    10. Work with OEM to provide new hardware/software combinations that are tailored for each other. Could be an Ubuntu smartphone, or an Ubuntu media player. A really cool thing would be an Ubuntu game console/multimedia center. It could include pre-installed, fully integrated emulators plus a selection of the best native Linux games.
    11. Open an online store selling Ubuntu-compatible accessories and peripherals. Everything from cameras and printers to earphones and USB cables.

If there is more, I will add it in another post.

Beans

Few things I'd love to see:

A different look. When switching from Windows to Mac the main difference is the look. Ubuntu does not have that. It has a look that combines the two. I would love to see Gnome-shell made the default. It provides the user with a simple, easy look, and makes them say "wow thats cool". Right no there is a lot of empty space in windows and fonts are too big (personal opinions).

Ubuntu One for the iphone, android. Recently I saw the Ubuntu One contact updater for the iphone in the app store. Although i could not get it working, (said my credentials did not match) it is a step in the right direction. Files that can be transfered into the cloud and picked up from anywhere. Dropbox currently does this with a clean look and apps available. Cononical may want to drop ubuntu one and partner up with dropbox.

I agree with badgaz1 post about a completely internet based system that you can log onto from anywhere. But to add into that idea, I would like to expand the USB flash disk project. I believe new computers should be like kiosks, you can use the disk anywhere. With the newer 32 and 64gb flash disks all your files can be stored.

DVD\mp3\mp4\etc support. I understand the legal issues and that the software cannot ship out out with it by default. During the very first startup, a pop-up message will appear asking if you would like to install all the extra media software.

Lastly, Cononical should think about creating their own ipad (not ipod) device. There are mobile internet devices on ebay, with Ubuntu installed as a default. They can start to make a profit on a device that can do all the features that ubuntu can do, instead of what Apple says it can do. Cononical should also try to get more companies build linux software (i.e. Oovoo). that being said. There should be simpler video chat software too.

I've been Ubuntu for 3 years now, and have seen it come very far. All the systems I install it on work out of the box, and all the people I give Ubuntu to love it. I have friends who loved Windows but got virus or the computer just slows down. I usually dual-boot their computer and now 95% of the time they are on Ubuntu (the other 5% is when syncing ipod touch). This goes to show everybody that people find it simple and easy to use out of the box.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by alzamabar View Post
    Hi, there are mainly two aspects of day-to-day users' desktop usage which are currently keeping users still on Windows:

1) Proprietary drivers for technological gadgets and popular applications (e.g. Tomtom software, iTunes, etc)

2) Out-of-the-box support for media, such as the ability to play DVD movies, listen to MP4 files, etc

Whereas huge steps forward have been made as the second point is concerned (today with the installation of few extra drivers it's possible to watch DVDs on 9.10), the huge gap is still represented by point 1. Vendors don't want to provide Linux drivers for some of their products and this is not a matter of prejudices towards the Linux community. No it has to do with far more simple numbers; what's the Windows user base and what's Linux? Vendors make the math and simply find that they will provide drivers for OS where the majority of users are: and today these are Windows and Mac. Never mind that Linux is a brilliant OS, that outperforms Windows big time, that is becoming a user friendly OS; what matters are numbers. So if we want Linux (and Ubuntu with it) to beat Windows and impose itself as the de-facto OS we need to attract more users to the Ubuntu platform, and this can only be achieved if we provide a desktop environment easy to use for the non-IT-oriented users, and believe me there are loads in the Windows community. Windows is popular not because of his quality, but because they were quick (and canny) to get the contract with IBM when Big Blue rolled out its first mass-consume PC. Microsoft was able to obtain that every PC would be shipped with a copy of DOS, and this is how they got popular.

It's very hard to change users' habits, especially when today users' are used to OS which do everything on their behalf; they don't need to be familiar with IT yet they can browse the internet, install a device (such as an external HD, a TomTom device, Blackberry software, etc) since it will come with Windows drivers but not with Linux (at least not the majority).

To change things around we need to evangelise the beauty of Linux (and Ubuntu), the fact that it's free and that performs ways better than Windows. Partly this process has already started, with the user base hugely more numerous than before, but still I read on forums and chats that users struggle to get "everything" working on Ubuntu, and once they are fed up they go back to Windows.

Once we'll have the numbers than vendors will start writing drivers for Linux too, and that will be the moment when Linux (and Ubuntu) will become the desktop OS market leader.

M.
    Very true. I agree with almost every aspect you've mentioned.

It is truly sad but it's all about the money. The reason why manufactures don't worry about Linux drivers is because the cost to recoup after hiring personnel and developing Linux drivers is very slim. I hope that a manufacture out there steps up to the plate and begins to pick up the Linux market share and win out against other companies. As a result, other companies realize what they've been missing and it carries on from there!

Beans

If I sell a Windows computer, I make a small profit on the hardware, more profit on the OS and a lot of profit on addition software. If I sell Linux computer, I make a small profit on the hardware. Ouch!
    In the same way, printer manufacturers make their profits on consumables. Retailers have no incentive to sell computers loaded with free software, and that is where Widows scores over Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

<snip>

If a shop does not make a profit, it goes out of business, simple really, then where are you going to buy your computers from ????

Cheers David
    Last edited by Elfy; April 15th, 2010 at 08:08 PM. Reason: refers to missing post

Beans

Thanks, Paradox. I was speaking hypothetically - I am actually a plant breeder.

Beans

If they want to get iPhones syncing, they'll need to get a full on media manager to do the work.

I'm talking Music, TV, Movies, Podcasts all managed in the same program.

Next, Photo Management. Something nicer than F-Spot please.

That's all I need to make it so I don't want a mac.
    I'm a PC, and I don't run Windows...

Beans
    Distro

Put together and tune it a bit, the right opensource components, and you have something much better than windows. (Where are you going to buy it then, the junkyard?). Better change current it-technology economy models, towards providing a service, being that programming, configuration, building systems or so forth.

I also think that will put the right people in the right places, making money on it-tecnology, and less people doing "marketing" or related businesses.

We do not need to present computers as something they are not, and over simplify them, so that the people who actually like them the most, suffer the most from it.

We do not need to present the computer, with a bunch of females, bikes, or whatever, to get "new users". Just have a good product, and society evolves and follows.

However what all benefit from, is that the hackers who posess the skill to change the system, into something better, can do that, without having to comply to an agenda of a big corporation.

Highest rated comment on this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8M6S8EKbnU&feature=fvst

"Thank God Linux exists". Indeed, natural celebrations of God, occur on a much large scale, that with windows, I strongly believe.

Beans
    Distro

One thing we may be able to get with Maverick Meerkat is good continuous speech recognition, that is, speaker-dependent dictation-quality recognition that turns speech into text both quickly and accurately.
    Because Nuance is getting Dragon NaturallySpeaking ready to run on Linux.
    Nuance used to say "where's the money," but last year they stopped saying that, thanks primarily to Linux being used more and more in European government venues. Anyway, Nuance promised last year to a Boston users group that development was going forward, using a two-pronged approach, testing for both a native implementation and a wine-based approach. I don't know where development is now, but I have been testing DNS 10 Standard using wine, and it's buggy, but it's fast and accurate, and the potential is there, even running under wine.
    DNS needs low latency, it needs speed, sometimes it needs uninterrupted access to resources. It needs things it doesn't get under Windows, things that Linux can provide. Wouldn't it be funny if medical and legal dictation (a huge market) shifted to Linux?
    Yeah, Nuance's DNS is closed-source and is going to stay that way, but continuous speech recognition could be more important than it is, if it were more accurate, and that Linux can help provide.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by susancragin View Post
    One thing we may be able to get with Maverick Meerkat is good continuous speech recognition, that is, speaker-dependent dictation-quality recognition that turns speech into text both quickly and accurately.
    Because Nuance is getting Dragon NaturallySpeaking ready to run on Linux.
    Nuance used to say "where's the money," but last year they stopped saying that, thanks primarily to Linux being used more and more in European government venues. Anyway, Nuance promised last year to a Boston users group that development was going forward, using a two-pronged approach, testing for both a native implementation and a wine-based approach. I don't know where development is now, but I have been testing DNS 10 Standard using wine, and it's buggy, but it's fast and accurate, and the potential is there, even running under wine.
    DNS needs low latency, it needs speed, sometimes it needs uninterrupted access to resources. It needs things it doesn't get under Windows, things that Linux can provide. Wouldn't it be funny if medical and legal dictation (a huge market) shifted to Linux?
    Yeah, Nuance's DNS is closed-source and is going to stay that way, but continuous speech recognition could be more important than it is, if it were more accurate, and that Linux can help provide.
    You got my vote

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast