View Poll Results: What do you think if this was a real app

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • That rocks top notch eyecandy!!! where are the .debs?

12 66.67%
  • That sucks, it really isn't cool at all

6 33.33%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bringing The iPod clickweel interface to te desktop

Beans

Re: Bringing The iPod clickweel interface to te desktop

This is called a Pie Menu and it is fairly popular in games because it is faster to use then a normal right click menu. Once you remember which option is in which direction you don't need to see the menu, read the options and aim at the one you want. Right click while moving the mouse upwards and you'll activate the top option or while moving the mouse downwards to the left and you'll activate the option in that direction. The whole menu interaction is 1 click so by the time it takes for a normal right click menu to appear a pie menu is already done.

It would be great to have it as an option in gtk which type of menu to use on right click. A separate add on like the Firefox pie menu extension isn't any good though cause it doesn't work in all programs. It really needs to work in all programs, i guess that means it has to be a part of gtk.
    Last edited by Kvark; March 14th, 2006 at 09:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Kvark
    This is called a Pie Menu and it is fairly popular in games because it is faster to use then a normal right click menu. Once you remember which option is in which direction you don't need to see the menu, read the options and aim at the one you want. Right click while moving the mouse upwards and you'll activate the top option or while moving the mouse downwards to the left and you'll activate the option in that direction. The whole menu interaction is 1 click so by the time it takes for a normal right click menu to appear a pie menu is already done.

It would be great to have it as an option in gtk which type of menu to use on right click. A separate add on like the Firefox pie menu extension isn't any good though cause it doesn't work in all programs. It really needs to work in all programs, i guess that means it has to be a part of gtk.
    it would kick *** for the gIMP. a real colorwheel!
    Last edited by Brunellus; March 14th, 2006 at 09:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by engla
    Hope you see this as inspiration and acknowledgement, and not as some show-off from an outsider [not me]. The first thing I want is for this to be available in Ubuntu, it's ubuntu I use every day!

Here are some screenshots from the little evil empire in the blue mountains.
    Note that Quicksilver is a third-party-app however.

1. Selection + hotkey => Radial context menu
    2. Showing how "Open with..." pops up from 1.
    3. Some radial iTunes menu. And some of the prefs
    I have a mac to. i Recently bought my iMac 20" ... appereantly the pie menu wont work under rossetta so i'll haf to wait for an universal, again But it is a fine machine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by Kvark

Thats what i mean ... if it could work in all prgrams it would kick *** ... but it has to be them all. imagine full screen editing with gimp and no toolbox thats all in the pie menu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Beans

This is a neat idea! Although of course confusing at first, but sure beats the hell out of your regular drop down menus.

Also, I don't think there will be a legal problem with Apple if you don't call it an iPod clickwheel. There are many alternative names. Pie Menu like Kvark said. Or Radial Menu, which is used in the Neverwinter Nights game. The idea isn't really a monopoly of Apple. The implementation/interface though, has to be different.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

have a look at the "kommando" app for KDE - this does waht you want I believe
    Regards,
    Mez
    Backports Lead & MOTU

Beans

That's exactly what I was talking about. I saw it before in KDE-Apps but forgot the name. Here's the link:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=29514

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by Fenyx
    That's exactly what I was talking about. I saw it before in KDE-Apps but forgot the name. Here's the link:
    Well im still on mac ... and when i use ubuntu i prefer gnome ...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Fenyx
    Looks really cool. Now, could we do somehting like that for nautilus with a plugin?

I write Kupfer, a smart, quick launcher.
    Recommended apps and tools: Vim!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast