Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 32 Or 64 Bit?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

32 Or 64 Bit?

I have two PC's (laptop and desktop), which are both 64 bit compatible, but currently running 32 bit Karmic. I was thinking of switching over to 64 bit when I upgrade to Lucid at the end of this month, I mainly use the computers for internet browsing, email, basic image editing and watching DVD's, would 64 bit have any advantages for these types of activities? Or should I stick with 32 bit?

the CPU for the desktop is a 3 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SLAPL)

The CPU for the laptop is a 2 GHz Intel Celeron 550 (http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=31727).

The desktop also runs Windows Vista which is 32 bit, but I shouldn't think that having one 32 bit OS and one 64 bit OS on one machine would cause any problem?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by ..::| Dave89 |::..; April 10th, 2010 at 08:02 AM.
    GNU/Linux distro timeline: http://futurist.se/gldt/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: 32 Or 64 Bit?

if you have more than 2Gb of RAM then you should use 64bit ubuntu, if you have less than 2Gb stay with 32 bit.

The reason for this is that 64bit editions supports more than 2gb of ram whereas the 32bit is limited only for a certain size of ram (not sure if its 2gb or 4gb)
    PC: 10.4 Ubuntu
    Netbook: ASUS EEEpc 1005HA 10.4 UNE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

if you have more then 2gb ram then you can use 64bit but if you have less then 4gb then there not realy any point in using 64bit.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Smile Re: 32 Or 64 Bit?

Quote Originally Posted by sxmaxchine View Post
    if you have more then 2gb ram then you can use 64bit but if you have less then 4gb then there not realy any point in using 64bit.
    Hi,

I've just recently switched to 64bit karmic from 32bit (after trying kubuntu which didn't work completely as I'd have liked) and I'm enjoying 64bit ubuntu. I switched to 64bit as I have 4gb of RAM and am thinking of going to 8gb of ram as I do quite a lot of memory intensive work. I'd recommend the switch over to 64bit for you too as 32bit supports up to and including 3gb of RAM so at the moment you presently have 1gb sitting there doing absolutely nothing. 64bit supports much higher RAM - I think up to 32gb if memory serves. Maybe even higher...anyway I digress...

From my experience with 32 vs 64 bit karmic I'd say they're very similar in booting/shut down time - still very quick. You won't notice any difference in normal operation except for when installing some apps where only 32bit apps are available, e.g amazon mp3 downloader will only work on 32bit installs and you'll get an error message about the wrong architecture. A bit annoying but not too bad. Apart from that go for it - but be sure to back up all your docs/music/vids as you'll need to do a clean install as I'm sure you're aware. Might also be worth saving your markings in synaptic just in case....

All the best,

Mark
    Last edited by sau99ms; April 10th, 2010 at 08:41 AM.
    "Don't be too proud of this technological terror you have constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aljoriz View Post
    if you have more than 2Gb of RAM then you should use 64bit ubuntu, if you have less than 2Gb stay with 32 bit.

The reason for this is that 64bit editions supports more than 2gb of ram whereas the 32bit is limited only for a certain size of ram (not sure if its 2gb or 4gb)
    32bit limit (without PAE kernel) is 3.something GB. What the 'something' can depend on a few factors.

Quote Originally Posted by sxmaxchine View Post
    You can use 64bit on less than 2GB of RAM. There is no reason why you cant.

Even @ 2GB, systems benchmark better on 64bit over 32bit. Examples? See this test (and that is using 9.04, I would bet that 64bit has even more of an edge on 32bit with later kernels etc)-

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/ubun...bit-benchmarks

After that, it should be pretty obvious I'm all for using 64bit if your CPU supports it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

32-bit supports up to 4GB (though 1GB is reserved to the kernel and only 3GB available in user space)

64-bit supports up to 4GB. Have been running Jaunty and now Lucid (beta) in 64-bit on a 8GB machine: no "cons" what-so-ever (anylonger)! The applications that used (a few years ago) to be "blocking" the 64-bit option (like flash, Open Office, firefox, etc.) just run flawlessly now. Even Skype and X-Plane - both 32-bit only applications - run without a glitch, thanks to the 32-bit compatibility layer (see the ia32-libs package).

So if you plan to beef-up a machine with more than 4GB of RAM, 64-bit is the way to go!

More than 3GB of (usable) RAM provide some improved pormances as soon as disk intensive applications are used (like the X-Plane simulator accessing the photo-realistic scenery files). Imagine all the RAM that can be dedicated to disk cache!

cdufour@ced-workstation:~ > free
    total used free shared buffers cached
    Mem: 8194532 6801796 1392736 0 495784 5400084
    -/+ buffers/cache: 905928 7288604
    Swap: 27831544 0 27831544

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The question these days is not "Should I run 64 bit ?" (assuming that the hardware is capable) but rather "Why shouldn't I run 64 bit ?" as there are very few reasons not to.

Most applications are now available in 64 bit, and the ones that aren't can be made to run on 64 bit.

IME, the chances of you having a problem with 64 bit are very low, but the only way to find out is to use it, and if you do come across a show stopper, then yes, you have lost some time and a clean install with 32 is required, but at least you know the answer to your question for sure

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    The question these days is not ''Should I run 64 bit '' (assuming that the hardware is capable) but rather ''Why shouldn't I run 64 bit '' as there are very few reasons not to.
    This sums it up nicely.
    You are wasting your hardware by using a 32 bit OS. Hobbling it to enure it can't reach it's full potential.

64 bit is beneficial when decoding video, so you may (in theory) notice a difference watching DVDs, but if your DVDs are already silky smooth and responsive with 32 bit you won't see any change.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I do have 4 GB of RAM in the desktop and 2 or 3 GB in the laptop, I think I'll go with 64 bit Ubuntu, and maybe also buy 64 bit Windows 7 and up the RAM to 6-8 GB for my games.

Thanks for all your quick replies, I've also been doing a bit of research using Google.
    GNU/Linux distro timeline: http://futurist.se/gldt/

Beans

Most Windows games and programs are only 32-bit optimized. The built in Microsoft programs should utilize 64-bits though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast