Hi all,

I have been trying to activate iBus and install Chinese Language packs on my reasonably new Karmic 64-bit install. When I go to the Language Support in the Administration menu I get a message saying that...

Language support is not installed completely. Some translations or writing aids available for your chosen languages are not installed yet. Do you want to install them now?
I have the option to be reminded later or install them now. Choose install them now and I get a new message.

Could not apply changes. Fix broken packages first!
In the details of the error messages these are the packages that are listed....

thunderbird-locale-en-gb
gimp-help-en
kde-l10n-engb
gnome-user-guide-en
openoffice.org-help-en-gb
openoffice.org-l10n-en-gb
language-pack-kde-en
openoffice.org-l10n-en-za

I have scoured Synaptic for each, and none are installed. I have run the broken packages fix and also followed another guide which did not work which suggested running a few commands...

Code:
sudo apt-get -configure -a
Code:
sudo apt-get -f install
Code:
sudo apt-get --fix-missing install
Code:
sudo apt-get clean
Code:
sudo apt-get update
The sudo apt-get update returned an error that disappeared after re-rerunning it again and the first configure command returned a small error too about not understanding the code and then

E: Opening configuration file onfigure - ifstream::ifstream (2: No such file or directory)
After all of these still no joy. It will not fix the problem. If I ignore the problem and move on to the next box and select ibus as the input method and go select Add a new language and choose Chinese the language support box greys out and remains this way eternally (until I go into the process in System Monitor and manually kill it.

Can anyone help me out here please?

Cheers and thanks,

Nick