Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Language Support Problems

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Language Support Problems

AAahhhhhhhh... <-(pulling hair out by roots)

I have just re-installed Lucid 64-bit on my laptop and the Language Support issue has returned. exactly the same as before, the error messages and the packages ( a list below ).

thunderbird-locale-en-gb
    gimp-help-en
    kde-l10n-engb
    gnome-user-guide-en
    openoffice.org-help-en-gb
    openoffice.org-l10n-en-gb
    language-pack-kde-en
    openoffice.org-l10n-en-za
    openoffice.org-hyphenation
    openoffice.org-hyphenation-en-us
    openoffice.org-thesaurus-en-au
    openoffice.org-thesaurus-en-us

Again I tried running the 'fix broken packages command from the synaptic packager menu, and it just says fixed all broken dependencies. But the problem remains.

When I go into Synaptic and try to install each of the packages individually I get an error message:-

The following packages have unresolved dependencies. Make sure that all required repositories are added and enabled in the preferences
    and then this

thunderbird-locale-en-gb:
    Conflicts: thunderbird (>3.1~a1) but 3.1.1+nobinonly-0ubuntu1~10.04~ricotz1 is to be installed
    Obviously this error message was returned when trying to install the first of the packages thunderbird-locale-en-gb

All of the packages except this thunderbird package I was able to install individually using synaptic package manager. If you can't remember the names of the packages try running the language support action again and then read the details of the error message. It will list all of the problematic packages for you and then you can try installing them each individually. A pain in the ..... I know... but all installed for me except for the thunderbird package above.

When trying to force install it I get this error message below. Please can someone help me resolve this. This bug or whatever it is has existed for a long time and seems to remain unresolved still.

xxxx@xxxx-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install -f thunderbird-locale-en-gb
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    thunderbird-locale-en-gb: Conflicts: thunderbird (> 3.1~a1) but 3.1.1+nobinonly-0ubuntu1~10.04~ricotz1 is to be installed
    E: Broken packages
    xxxx@xxxx-laptop:~$
    Thanks,

Nick

Beans

Hi Nick,

I have exactly the same problem.

Here's what I did:
    - uninstall Thunderbird
    - let Ubuntu fix the other errors -> works
    - reinstall the correct version -> problem still exists

After that I upgraded to the latest FF beta via ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-daily/ppa
    But the same error occurred.

So, still no solution on this side: anybody?

Thanks,

Bert

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Finally after (as described previously in this thread) I installed all the packages I could manually (I used synaptic) I was left with this one thunderbird-locale-en-gb and it would not install due to conflicts. I believe for some reason it was conflicting with the version of thunderbird.

Anyway I found this PPA with latest version of thunderbird-locale-en-gb so I added the PPA

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:eugenesan/mozilla
    and then aptitude updated

Code:
    sudo aptitude update
    and then went into synaptic and located the newer version of the package (thunderbird-locale-en-gb) and installed it no problem. When I went back to the language support it tossed a new error at me this time for thunderbird-locale-en-us but I was able to click on it and select install it and it installed no problem. I was then able to get back into the language support manager and select my Chinese language packages to install.

I will also remove the PPA for now until I have a little more time to check it out and see what other packages it might contain. My language packs are downloading and, fingers crossed, installing now. If any further problems I'll post back.

Hope this helps someone out. I found it by Googling the package name and found this at the top of the list - http://www.ubuntuupdates.org/packages/show/248338

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12