Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: why do people shift to debian?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: why do people shift to debian?

Having used debian and ubuntu extensively, it is just a matter of personal preference. I like both. However, ubuntu is a bit more beginner friendly.

Beans
    Hidden!

I like the documentation better. It's easier to figure things out and get help. They don't patch things as much as Ubuntu does, because they're not trying to be cutting edge, so when you have a problem you can even go upstream right to the source for assistance with your problem. Not always possible with Ubuntu. E.g., laptopmode tools on Karmic.

Also, Debian doesn't push changes on the users like Ubuntu. Ubuntu pushed pulse out, and users had to figure out how to get alsa back if they had problems. Then they pushed compiz out, and users had to figure out getting metacity back if they have problems. For Lucid they're pushing out indicator applets, and the forum will soon be filled with people requesting help on restoring the old behaviour.

The above isn't necessarily a bad thing. That's what being cutting edge is all about, pushing out new things. For me though, I like to be able to choose what new things I try. I can choose ext4, but it's not default. I can choose pulse, but it's not default. I can install compiz, but it's not default. And so on.
    A towel is about the most massively useful thing for fixing computers. Use it to muffle your screams when you mess up, or to dry your tears if it's broken beyond repair. When all else fails, use it to cover up the useless machine, then walk away.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by oOarthurOo View Post
    Also, Debian doesn't push changes on the users like Ubuntu. Ubuntu pushed pulse out, and users had to figure out how to get alsa back if they had problems.
    Pulse Audio had worked almost flawlessly on Ubuntu for me, and has for quite awhile. Debian Testing on the other hand, I installed it and half of my stuff isn't working. I've been meaning to fix it but I've been kind of busy lately.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 3.5GHz
    GPU: MSI GTX 260 w/896MB DDR3 @ 655MHz
    RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB (4x 2GB) DDR3 2000
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (2x fake RAID0)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

well some people want to run debian unstable and get the latest packages. Some people think debian has better policies about choosing only free software packages. I think those are both pretty valid points.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by drascus View Post
    well some people want to run debian unstable and get the latest packages. Some people think debian has better policies about choosing only free software packages. I think those are both pretty valid points.
    This is why. Well, it's a lot of *my* reasoning for preparing to use Debian [actually Xebian, but that doesn't really make a difference].
    "Meddle not with roos; thou art crunchy and grasshopper-like" ※The SABRFL※

Last edited by ubunterooster; 1 Minute ago

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by blueshiftoverwatch View Post
    Pulse Audio had worked almost flawlessly on Ubuntu for me, and has for quite awhile. Debian Testing on the other hand, I installed it and half of my stuff isn't working. I've been meaning to fix it but I've been kind of busy lately.
    I think the changes Ubuntu pushed out worked flawlessly for most people. In fact, pulse works better in Ubuntu for me, out of the box as it were, than in Debian.But it is a different approach.
    A towel is about the most massively useful thing for fixing computers. Use it to muffle your screams when you mess up, or to dry your tears if it's broken beyond repair. When all else fails, use it to cover up the useless machine, then walk away.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819