Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0)

Beans

Re: GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0)

I believe it is harmless but the fact it's showing it when it shouldn't be indicates a problem.

Plus, it isn't very comforting for a new user to see an obscure warning message on boot.

Beans

Very true. I've already gotten complaints about it from those newbies who I've installed Ubuntu on their computers. It sounds scary, but I just tell them it's harmless, and they seem okay with that. Just a nuisance more than anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

I can only scratch my head... this bug has been known for months now. What's wrong with these developers? Don't they listen?

This problem still occurs every other time I boot or so.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by wieman01 View Post
    I can only scratch my head... this bug has been known for months now. What's wrong with these developers? Don't they listen?

This problem still occurs every other time I boot or so.
    This "bug" doesn't do anything. Why would they waste their time fixing it when they could fix real bugs that actually affect usability.

Beans

Probably because to someone who doesn't understand, something with the word WARNING on boot indicates there is something wrong or there is a bug and people will keep reporting it as a bug until it stops showing.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post
    This "bug" doesn't do anything. Why would they waste their time fixing it when they could fix real bugs that actually affect usability.
    Mmm... It's a bug, it's annoying people, and confuses newcomers. Plus it wastes time. What's the point of accelerating Ubuntu's boot process only to end up booting twice or sometimes even three times in a row.

No, a bug is a bug and it needs fixing. From a consumer's standpoint such a thing is simply unacceptable.

Beans
    Distro

Mmm... It's a bug, it's annoying people, and confuses newcomers. Plus it wastes time. What's the point of accelerating Ubuntu's boot process only to end up booting twice or sometimes even three times in a row.

No, a bug is a bug and it needs fixing. From a consumer's standpoint such a thing is simply unacceptable.
    I'm just trying to answer your question. If you want to do something you can nominate the bug report as a papercut I guess. Just remember that commenting on a forum isn't going to get it fixed.

Beans
    Distro

I'm just trying to answer your question. If you want to do something you can nominate the bug report as a papercut I guess. Just remember that commenting on a forum isn't going to get it fixed.
    That is true. Like I said it's been reported for a long time now, was just trying to say I don't understand why it has not been fixed yet. I worry about the bug reporting & fixing process rather than this bug itself. Something greater seems to be at odds with the community.

By the way, some of the complaints in the forums get heard. Not all, but some.

Beans
    Distro

That is true. Like I said it's been reported for a long time now, was just trying to say I don't understand why it has not been fixed yet. I worry about the bug reporting & fixing process rather than this bug itself. Something greater seems to be at odds with the community.

By the way, some of the complaints in the forums get heard. Not all, but some.
    I do agree with you there. It does seem like the devs look at their bug list and choose which ones they feel like fixing and ignore the rest. Which is kind of sad, but a reality.

I know JFo from the kernel team is reorganizing Kernel Triage, so that's been really fun. You can subscribe to the kernel-team list or check out their wiki for more info if anyone's interested; I think there's a Kernel Triage Summit sometime in September too.

Now if we can just convince the X.Org team to buckle down like the Kernel team has....

Beans
    Distro

Now if we can just convince the X.Org team to buckle down like the Kernel team has....
    Way to go if you ask me!

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast