Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The 1 million dollar (sound) question

Beans

Unhappy The 1 million dollar (sound) question

Hi all

I have torn my hair out and, for tonight, given up on getting sound working with Ubuntu 10.04 using my Mac. I'd really like to get using the apps from Ubuntu Studio so I can try out the video editing capabilities with the Mac's hardware.

However, I have tried thousands of guides and cannot get the sound to work.

It appears to require Realtek drivers (at least Windows 7 did), although doing lspci -v shows it seems to be an Nvidia card as well.

One of the steps handily uploaded a load of info here for me... http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=33...a3bfab29812b7e

Any help would be really, really appreciated... I can't be the only person with a Mac (at least this soundcard) having problems, can I?!

Beans

Re: The 1 million dollar (sound) question

I've got a imac 24 (2009 model) and I got sound working by adding "options snd-hda-intel model=lenovo-sky" to /etc/modprobe.d/imac.conf.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Ronius View Post
    Hi all

!
    what version of mac do you have?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Ronius View Post
    Hi all

I have torn my hair out and, for tonight, given up on getting sound working with Ubuntu 10.04 using my Mac. I'd really like to get using the apps from Ubuntu Studio so I can try out the video editing capabilities with the Mac's hardware.

It appears to require Realtek drivers (at least Windows 7 did), although doing lspci -v shows it seems to be an Nvidia card as well.

One of the steps handily uploaded a load of info here for me... http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=33...a3bfab29812b7e

Any help would be really, really appreciated... I can't be the only person with a Mac (at least this soundcard) having problems, can I?!
    Zap your PRAM/NVRAM then use rEFIt to sync your mbr table if you can't find linux on the boot screen anymore. It works for me, but the problem is always that using grub to load OSX makes OSX have no sound.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

tell me the exyact model of your computer
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MactelSuppor...unityHelpPages
    Linux on your Apple Mac │ iLinux
    http://mac.linux.be
    http://www.mintppc.org

Beans

Smile Re: The 1 million dollar (sound) question

Apologies all for forgetting to put in my Mac version; it's the iMac 24" 2009.

And thanks for your responses... I'll try them out when I've finished my work and can boot into Ubuntu later tonight

Beans

Talking Re: The 1 million dollar (sound) question

I've got a imac 24 (2009 model) and I got sound working by adding "options snd-hda-intel model=lenovo-sky" to /etc/modprobe.d/imac.conf.
    Thanks zacbarton, sound is very blatantly now working after accidentally keeping the sound level too high and being shocked by the ethnic vibes of the log in sound!

Anytime you want a free drink or a few, just give us a call

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Glad your problem solved! I wish my sound problem was solved as fast as yours

You can now change your prefix to [solved]
    Cheers and enjoy your cup of ubuntu

Beans

I have a Imac 24" 2009 and am new to Ubuntu (10.04). Have partitioned with Mac OS Snow Leopard. My sound is not working in Ubuntu. New to the Terminal app.
    You said:
    "I've got a imac 24 (2009 model) and I got sound working by adding "options snd-hda-intel model=lenovo-sky" to /etc/modprobe.d/imac.conf."

How do I enter this in the Terminal?
    I've tried entering "sudo nano /etc/modprode.d/imac.conf" and then entering "options snd-hda-intel model=lenovo-sky" and then control-o, enter, control-x. And then reboot.

Am I doing this wrong?

Appreciate any help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Wish I could help but I'm new to terminal too.... Where does everyone learn it? Any books I should read?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast