Thread: USB WinTV-HVR 900H

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

USB WinTV-HVR 900H

I have had a look and found that on the USA site that the Hauppauge WINTV-HVR 900H will work on linux.

So i popped out and grabbed myself one. I have installed some apps, but nothing looks like it working.

Im not sure how to look at the usb to see if the laptop can see it. There is no lights on the usb drive.

What can one do ????
    Many thanks for your time in this matter

Keith

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: USB WinTV-HVR 900H

To "see" your usb open a terminal and enter
    lsusb
    that should show the bus and what's connected. You can also enter
    dmesg
    into a terminal after you plug a device in. I'm not sure exactly what the "Hauppauge WINTV-HVR 900H " is beyond being a TV/video device but there are guides for capture cards and other devices at the ubuntu video wiki.
    Good site to search for guides & how-tos.

Beans

Sorry mate, i'm in the same boat as you.
    If you look here http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/linux.html it says " Work is under way for the WinTV-HVR-900H."

Not exactly sure when that was posted but i"ve been checking for 2-3 months and theres been no change.
    Linux tv lists our device http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.ph..._based_Devices (down the bottom of the page) but nothing yet.

Just keep checking back periodically and i'm sure it will be supported soon.
    Last edited by kosmo90; August 14th, 2009 at 08:21 AM. Reason: speeling

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Same here I'd like to get this working with mythtv.

The HD model seems to only have windows support.
    I'm just another Ubuntu statistic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Unhappy Re: USB WinTV-HVR 900H

I've been waiting for the driver for over a year, and the messages of Hauppauge and TV Linux Wiki are there for centuries. I hope one day the driver is available.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Arrow Re: USB WinTV-HVR 900H

I am currently testing this device on the Lucid Lynx beta and it seems possible to have it working if the appropriate measures are taken.

It is operated by the em28xx driver which had an experimental branch (em28xx-new). With the em28xx-new driver this card worked, but it had to be manually installed on Ubuntu 8.10. This involved compiling the kernel module.

em28xx-new has been discontinued, but the main branch em28xx seems to be almost ready. It is not working yet, but I found a reference on Gentoo forums that suggests this could indeed be working on kernel 2.6.33. See the second post.

We all know Lucid will ship with 2.6.32, but backporting that patch seems feasible at this point and I have offered to help testing should the devs go for it.

Check out my bug report on Launchpad if you have this device and want to help test it for Lucid Lynx.
    Eternally confused.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Unhappy Re: USB WinTV-HVR 900H

Sorry if I got anyone's hope up.

I discovered there are three models of the device in question:

HVR-900
    HVR-900 (R2) <-- I have this one
    and HVR-900H
    Eternally confused.