Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Xbox 360 controller doesn't work in 10.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Xbox 360 controller doesn't work in 10.10

I've been an Ubuntu user since 8.10, and I am just now deciding to try Linux gaming. I've been online upgrading the OS consistently since 9.04, and 10.10 is running flawlessly on my machine. (A four year old Toshiba Satellite with an AMD 64 dual core)

I am trying to use an xbox 360 controller on my machine, and it is recognized (lsusb lists it properly) but it controls nothing. I've tried it on tuxcart, super tux2, and Armagetron Advanced.

I chose the xbox 360 controller because it is supposed to be plug-and-play with Ubuntu 10.10, but I if it wasn't for lsusb and a red LED on the controller, I wouldn't know it was plugged in.

Is it that these three games don't support controllers, or did I miss something? Please help.
    Thanks,
    AJ

Beans

Re: Xbox 360 controller doesn't work in 10.10

Not sure with these games, but normally you have to configure the controller for each game. Most games have a section where you can change the control options.

Beans
    Distro

Yes, I tried that, but the games in no way recognize the controller. I am an avid gamer, and I am an avid Linux user, just not a Linux gamer... I should be able to figure this out, but I can't.

Beans
    Distro

Update: I have now tried it on about 15 different games just to be sure, many flight sims, a few side scrollers and some 3d racing games. Nothing recognizes the controller, either in the game or the configuration.
    lsusb shows:
    Bus 005 Device 007: ID 045e:028f Microsoft Corp. Xbox360 Wireless Controller

It really would be super to use it. Anyone have any ideas where I should start? I just can't seem to find a problem anywhere other than the fact that it just doesn't do anything work...

I tried the controller on my xbox360 just to make sure the controller is still working, and it is fine.

Beans

I have a generic xbox 360 controller, but mine is wired rather than wireless. Have you tried a program like qjoypad to translate the the joystick movements and button pushes to keyboard mappings?

Beans
    Distro

Ah, see, now that was what I was curious about: a program needed to translate inputs. I'll try that out.
    I have a factory xbox 360 controller wired via USB.

Beans
    Distro

I've been trying to install QJoyPad, but it just won't happen.

I wasn't surprised, as this would've been my first time to successfully install a tarball. I have tried to install tarballs at least 30-40 times with programs I really want, and have always done exactly as the install files say, and corrected any deficiencies that the errors tell me I have, but in the end it never actually installs correctly or at all, and has about half the time killed my OS and I have had to re-install the entire operating system. So I won't mess with tarballs until I have backed up all my media and have about a week in my life where I won't need a computer. I've never had a problem with a debian file in the last 4 years. It just makes me wonder why anyone would write code that has to be compiled instead of writing a proper auto installer... anyway, rant about tarballs complete...

I'm an IT professional by trade, but mostly networking and human interface products, so I'm not a total computer dolt, but linux core library stuff is beyond me.

I've already fixed a couple of the issues that the config file has told me, but now the config file is telling me that I need qt4.2 or higher, which I thought was default in Ubuntu 10.10:

andrew@Linus:~/Desktop/QJoyPad/qjoypad-4.1.0/src$ ./config
    Error: you need at least Qt version 4.2 to use this program

Should I try installing QT4.2? It is also a tarball, and a rather integrated-into-the-OS one at that...
    Synaptic shows all the (non-developer) QT4 libraries are already installed. Any other suggestions before I make an attempt and probably kill my computer again?
    Thank you

Beans
    Distro

Synaptic is showing that I have QT4.7.4 installed. So is QJoyPad's config file not working properly? Or it doesn't know what to look for? Does anyone know what is happening and how to fix it?

I tried to just go forward and make install, but here is what I get for that:

andrew@Linus:~$ cd /home/andrew/Desktop/QJoyPad/qjoypad-4.1.0
    andrew@Linus:~/Desktop/QJoyPad/qjoypad-4.1.0$ cd src
    andrew@Linus:~/Desktop/QJoyPad/qjoypad-4.1.0/src$ make install
    make: *** No rule to make target `install'. Stop.
    andrew@Linus:~/Desktop/QJoyPad/qjoypad-4.1.0/src$

And sure enough, the directory does not contain an install file.

I am assuming this is because the config file has to successfully run error free before continuing to the install. And maybe config creates the install file after it checks and ensures the computer is configured correctly?

Beans
    Distro

Okay, I've verified my QT version. (4.7.4)
    I've unpacked and run config from the core directory exactly as the install file says to do, and regardless of how I download and unpack the tarball or reinstall QT, it is the same error.

I've done it a few times to ensure it is easily reproducible, and then submitted it as a bug to QJoyPad sourceforge page.

So, no xbox360 controller, nor QJoyPad.
    I want to play...

Beans

It's a LOT easier to get qjoypad from PlayDeb.net. PlayDeb is a great resource for ubuntu-compatible games, generally.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast