Thread: SOCKS, SSH proxy problem in firefox

Beans

SOCKS, SSH proxy problem in firefox

Hi,

I have two machines.. one server (A) and client (B).. I have internet running on my server A which is using my university's proxy. Now I install openssh server on this machine A.

Now on the second client machine B, I started socks proxy using ssh -D 9999 username@machineA
    and then setting up socksv5 in firefox proxy settings with 127.0.0.1 and localhost both and port number 9999

But its not working

However, after doing the ssh to the server machine, wget is working at the shell.

Please help me out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: SOCKS, SSH proxy problem in firefox

Quote Originally Posted by neeagl View Post
    Hi,

I have two machines.. one server (A) and client (B).. I have internet running on my server A which is using my university's proxy. Now I install openssh server on this machine A.

Now on the second client machine B, I started socks proxy using ssh -D 9999 username@machineA
    and then setting up socksv5 in firefox proxy settings with 127.0.0.1 and localhost both and port number 9999

But its not working

However, after doing the ssh to the server machine, wget is working at the shell.

Please help me out.
    You will also need to manually configure DNS servers when running through a socks SSH proxy. More information on how can be found here: https://store.opendns.com/setup/operatingsystem/ubuntu

Beans

Tried that.. but didn't work..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by neeagl View Post
    Tried that.. but didn't work..
    How exactly did you configure the proxy settings in Firefox?