Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux vs Netflix

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Unhappy Linux vs Netflix

It s#cks! It really s#cks! It made me so angry!

I'm a long time Netflix user. Watching movies right from my PC.
    After switching to Linux I couldn't imagine that there could be such problem.

Opened Netflix. For a few minutes was choosing a movie. Clicked PLAY and.... BAAAM! Doesn't work.

Ok. Relax. Let's try to fix it (I said). It says that Nitflix supports by Windows and Mac only. Ignored that, tried to get some info from automated Netflix help machine.

After a few steps it said that I don't have a Silverlight. Opened MS to install a Silverlight. Installed it in a few secs. (It's actually called Moonlight for Linux).

Was just happy that the problem is fixed and I'll be able to watch my movies. But than, on the last page of installation Moonlight it said:

Netflix does not work with Moonlight at this time. While Moonlight supports all of the UI and media playback infrastructure, it lacks DRM support which Netflix requires. See this silverlight.net forum post and this page on the Moonlight wiki.
    What the hell is this DRM (digital rights management)? How to fix it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Linux vs Netflix

You can't not right now , Netflix is scared your going to steal their crap so they enforce DRM , I personally don't use anything that uses DRM , period. And I won't , ever.
    "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."
    -Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Unhappy Re: Linux vs Netflix

Quote Originally Posted by Wiebelhaus View Post
    You can't
    I HATE these two words!

So there's NO chance to "play" Netflix in Linux not running a Virtual Machine?

Beans

No Netflix for Ubuntu or any other LINUX based operating system. However, you can buy a ROKU box for $70, connect it to your TV and sound system and enjoy "Watch Instantly" Netflix, as well as having access to several other channels, besides Netflix, most of them at no additional charge beyond your low monthly Netflix fee.

Would it be nice to view Netflix on my Ubuntu Netbook Edition operating system? Sure, but ROKU is a better alternative, viewing NETFLIX, many original independent films, listening to Pandora.com music, or exclusive web-based programs and presentations on a large TV screen with sound through my stereo system.

The ROKU box connects to your home network, either wired or wirelessly, then--with a code--identifies your queue for preferred channels, programs and movies and downloads the content to your ROKU box

I don't sell ROKU. This is not a marketing message. I just like it and think it's a better way to view "Watch Instantly" Netflix and other content. And, no worry about your TV's operating system, neither Windows nor Mac, nor even LINUX, although I think the ROKU box is LINUX-based for its menus and channel selection software.

Alternatives are here, just not for viewing Netflix on a LINUX based computer.

Beans
    Distro

Why should you have to buy a separate piece of hardware to watch something you pay for anyway!! Netflix should really offer a valid solution or people will keep trying to hack it and get around the DRM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I am sure that Netfix has to agree to use DRM if they want the content from the media companies. I don't blame them. There seems to be a simple solution to this. The ROKU box runs Linux. That means the DRM code for Linux already exists. I would be happy to pay $10-$20 for a proprietary app that would allow me to watch Netflix on Linux. ROKU would gain another revenue stream to recover their development costs and Netflix would stop getting angry email from us *nixers. Some will probably disagree, but I believe this would be a reasonable solution.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by indylarry View Post
    I am sure that Netfix has to agree to use DRM if they want the content from the media companies. I don't blame them. There seems to be a simple solution to this. The ROKU box runs Linux. That means the DRM code for Linux already exists. I would be happy to pay $10-$20 for a proprietary app that would allow me to watch Netflix on Linux. ROKU would gain another revenue stream to recover their development costs and Netflix would stop getting angry email from us *nixers. Some will probably disagree, but I believe this would be a reasonable solution.
    I don't disagree at all, that is an excellent idea!! Why haven't Netflix/ROKU/Microsoft thought of this. It is a win win situation

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Naitsirhc Hsem View Post
    Why should you have to buy a separate piece of hardware to watch something you pay for anyway!! Netflix should really offer a valid solution or people will keep trying to hack it and get around the DRM.
    Sorry, you knew it wouldn't work in Linux when you paid for it. Netflix's system requirements are clearly stated in the FAQ; they are not making any deceptive claims or misleading advertising IMHO.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Naitsirhc Hsem View Post
    I don't disagree at all, that is an excellent idea!! Why haven't Netflix/ROKU/Microsoft thought of this. It is a win win situation
    I'm sure ROKU has signed a non-disclosure agreement and is not permitted to distribute the binary blobs, nor any information about them. It's entirely up to Microsoft as to whether they will provide assistance to the Moonlight project (binary blobs). Nobody else has any power to do anything about this. The DRM is Microsoft's intellectual property.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Im pretty sure the means netflicks uses to monitor what OS youre using is via your browser headers. There are ways to change what your Computer shows up as to servers. I cant recall right now what this is called. browser masquerading or something. Look into that.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IceCat
    ~Conradin~

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast