Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No internet connection after instalation

Beans

No internet connection after instalation

Hallo,
    I just installed Ubuntu 9.10 on new and empty computer ASUS eee box 1501. Unfortunately the web connection (wired) failed (message like "wire has been disconeccted - you are offline now"). I tried to instal Ubuntu to an old PC and plug the wire in and it works normally.
    Could someone advice what shall I check, set, change? So far, I checked only the cable, if it is pluged in properly.
    Note, I am absolutely Linux beginner.
    Thanks in advance.
    Petr

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: No internet connection after instalation

Did you try this
    right click on the network icon on the tray and ensure that the ENABLE NETWORKING option is ticked

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

are you using ether net connection or PPPoE? if the answer if PPPoE the you have to the network setting and configure the connetion!

Beans

@ 1991surdarshan: I use the ethernet connection.
    @ dineshs: thanks, I'll check it when I am at home. Nevertheless, I installed the system from one boot CD to both PCs. It would be strange if networking is enabled on one of them and dissable on the second one. But anything is possible, maybe it depends on network card.
    Regards
    Petr

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

If dineshs's solution doesn't work, open a terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal) and paste this command into it (use Ctrl+Shift+V instead of Ctrl+V if you like to use keyboard shortcuts)
    Code:
    lspci | grep Network
    then post the output here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Might be a good idea to check and then double check your wired connection and the adapters of the wire. Sometimes they do not seat well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by undecim View Post
    If dineshs's solution doesn't work, open a terminal (Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal) and paste this command into it (use Ctrl+Shift+V instead of Ctrl+V if you like to use keyboard shortcuts)
    Code:
    lspci | grep Network
    then post the output here.
    The output is
    Code:
    04:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
    Will it help?

"Enable networking" option is ticked.

Beans

Does anybody have a hint? I consider claiming the computer but I would like to be sure it is defective before I ship it back to the seller.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

What about the lamp indication on the ethernet card and the device on the other end of the cable(modem/router/other PC).What is the device on the other end?Also I think you can post the output of
    Code:
    lspci

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Petr Hasek View Post
    Does anybody have a hint? I consider claiming the computer but I would like to be sure it is defective before I ship it back to the seller.
    I don't think that it is defective hardware (though I certainly wouldn't rule that out as a possibility.) In my experience, when ethernet cards fail, they usually just stop being recognized.

Try to connect again and then after getting the "wire has been disconeccted - you are offline now" message, go back to the terminal and post the output from
    Code:
    ifconfig
    Last edited by undecim; March 25th, 2010 at 03:37 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast