Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Executable Bit

Beans

Re: Executable Bit

Quote Originally Posted by cdenley View Post
    I don't know what more you expect from your fellow ubuntu users on this forum.
    It would have been nice to have Post No 33 delivered in response to Post No 2.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bugritall View Post
    It would have been nice to have Post No 33 delivered in response to Post No 2.
    I didn't have lucid installed at the time, so I didn't know how exactly this was implemented in nautilus. Post #8 told you how to accomplish the same results, though.

Beans

I remember trying amnite's solution from Post No 8 - right-click and choose wine in place of cautious-launcher for the "other application" custom command - but it didn't work for me. I attributed that to the fact that I was using Lucid, whereas amnite was using something from a month earlier.

I posted to that effect saying:
    Sorry, amnite but your fix doesn't work in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.
    but my whole post got deleted because of some comments about Ubuntu's old guard in the final paragraph. I was only expressing sentiments similar to the ones that Jonners59 expressed later but I was a little more succinct.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bugritall View Post
    I remember trying amnite's solution from Post No 8 - right-click and choose wine in place of cautious-launcher for the "other application" custom command - but it didn't work for me. I attributed that to the fact that I was using Lucid, whereas amnite was using something from a month earlier.

I posted to that effect saying:
    but my whole post got deleted because of some comments about Ubuntu's old guard in the final paragraph. I was only expressing sentiments similar to the ones that Jonners59 expressed later but I was a little more succinct.
    Telling nautilus to open it with wine using the custom command will in fact open it with wine, which bypasses the launcher which requires the executable bit. I just tested it and it worked fine. Of course, some people had other problems with wine, and for some reason assumed it had something to do with the executable bit, and complained it didn't solve their problem even though the executable bit error never appeared.

I also tested my solution, and it doesn't seem to work. I thought I tested it before. Anyway, this is probably a good compromise. A small change to lucid's wine launcher.
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    # For use with .desktop files and MIME handlers so that the Ubuntu Policy
    # can be followed: programs cannot be executed when they lack the execute bit.
    # https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam/Policies#Execute-Permission%20Bit%20Required
    exe="$1"
    shift || true
    if [ -n "$exe" ] && [ ! -x "$exe" ] && \
       [ "${exe:0:5}" != "/usr/" ] && [ "${exe:0:5}" != "/opt/" ]
    then
        if [ -n "$DISPLAY" ] && [ -x /usr/bin/zenity ]; then
            /usr/bin/zenity --question --title "Warning: $*" --text "The file '$exe' is not marked as executable.  If this was downloaded or copied form an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run.  For more details, read about the <a href=\"https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Security/ExecutableBit\">executable bit</a>. Would you like to execute it?" && exec "$@" "$exe"
        else
            echo "$*: '$exe' is not executable.  Aborting." >&2
        fi
        exit 1
    fi
    exec "$@" "$exe"
    Create that script in /usr/local/bin/cautious-launcher, then make it executable. You will still get the same executable bit warning, but will be given the option to proceed. Nobody will unknowingly execute an executable with a double-click, but they can easily do so if they wish with only one additional click if they cannot or would rather not change the permissions of the file.

Beans

I managed to take control of my PC and am now able to install apps that I want (trusted sources) by:

Following the instruction to load;
    sudo ln -s /usr/bin/wine /usr/local/bin/cautious-launcher
    I also went in to System - Administartion - Users and Groups.... after putting in authorization password... Then select Manage Groups - select root - Properties and then ensure your user account is selected....

I am sure this breaks all the rules, but until a simple user interface for us simpletons is provided so we can add the things we want without becoming rocket scientists, it'll have to make do for me.

Sorry to offend those that enjoy a different experience with their setup

Beans

Talking Re: Executable Bit

As a recent convert from ******* to Ubuntu I had high hopes but after 10.04LT was installed those hopes were dashed. It took a lot of guessing and checking but finally I can install .exe applications from CDROM. Using a previous post as a guide, sorry but I cannot remember your name to give you credit, I found that the easiest way is to run the application using the following method.

Right click the launch application, eg. setup.exe
    Select "open with"
    Select WineBrowser. I think the original post said select Wine but I was unable to get that to work.

PRESTO Finally I have BF1942 on my computer.

For all you others out there who provided all these scripts and system changes, etc. Not all of us are rocket scientists with Linux. While you all keep it in the land of magic and voodoo there will never be a mass exodus from *******. The fundamental principals of Linux are fantastic but please help us newbies with workable ideas and not have us trying to crawl under the bonnet all the time because a guru knows what is best. Remember we are spoilt by the M$ paradigm and expect similar functionality when we migrate over.

Live long and prosper dude........

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

An house with no doors is very safe, but no one can live inside.

I've tested the last solution with the script and it worked very well (thank you to the author!). It is a good solution to the bug (or feature?!) Ubuntu willingly created. You can't change executable bits on CDROMS or any other read only media. Pretending that this obvious limitation is the fault of the user is completly foolish! Security has nothing to do with harrassing the user. Some users need guidance, others don't, but what nobody wants is not using a program for supposed security issues. When security features are too dificult to understand, people tend to disable them completly and turn off ALL the security instead of tuning it to a good balance between eficiency vs security. So let's keep it safe, but functional too.
    For the beginners reading this thread (and we have to respect them):

To create the script you use the following command:
    gksudo gedit /usr/local/bin/cautious-launcher
    and paste the code on the above post and save.
    Then you better make it executable (!) with the following:
    chmod +x cautious-launcher

You do this on the command line using the terminal. This is no "geek" thing. It is a marvellous way of being able to use solutions the "geeks" create, because it is easier to explain "type this and that" than explaining where to point with a mouse, and it can be easier to configure a machine in cases like this.
    Thank you geeks for your brilliant solutions, and thank you beginners for enfatizing the geeks brilliancy.
    Cheers to all!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Tavares View Post
    An house with no doors is very safe, but no one can live inside.

I've tested the last solution with the script and it worked very well (thank you to the author!). It is a good solution to the bug (or feature?!) Ubuntu willingly created. You can't change executable bits on CDROMS or any other read only media. Pretending that this obvious limitation is the fault of the user is completely foolish! Security has nothing to do with harassing the user. Some users need guidance, others don't, but what nobody wants is not using a program for supposed security issues. When security features are too difficult to understand, people tend to disable them completely and turn off ALL the security instead of tuning it to a good balance between efficiency vs security. So let's keep it safe, but functional too.
    Well said! I've watched this thread with sadness as the rhetoric has been more divisive than I've seen in a long while on this forum.

Moreover while I understand the high-ideals behind the executable-bit policy, I see shades of the infamous UAC nag boxes ******* users have had to put up with. Since most ******* Malware wouldn't run in Wine even if you wanted it to the protection 10.04 defaults too is over-kill and way too intrusive. On its own for local files it would just have been annoying, but the inability to allow users too *simply* run *.exe files from CD is a poor error of judgement on behalf of the developers.

Its all very well pointing people to the command line, but for non-techy users the CLI is intimidating and seems a very hard way of working for folk brought up on point and click.

Ultimately these issues effect the home users most detrimentally because security should be set by site policy in corporate or enterprise settings.

I really thing 10.04 is a massive step forward but this issue is going to keep coming back to haunt this version of Ubuntu.

Kneewax
    I'm not flat, the band is sharp
    - Frank Sinatra

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Guys, Problem solved. I know some people have posted alternate responses and fixes, such as editting the script, but this is just quick and dirty.

Open up terminal and type:

Code:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    That should take care of all your 10.04 problems. The Wine Dev's got annoyed with Ubuntu new security policy, which seems to be the general idea (they dont like it) coming from the users (HINT HINT UBUNTU DEVS!) So in the latest wine releases they bypass the new "Cautious-launcher" for .exe's.

By bypassing the new cautious-launcher script, this should also allow for CD's to work since its impossible to edit them. As far as I can tell this restores full Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala and early behavior to .exe's and CD's under Ubuntu 10.04. You cannot however use the version of wine in the repo's, they do not have the ACTUAL Wine 1.2 Package, they only have an early-release beta of it since thats as far as it got before 10.04 got released. You need a true Wine 1.2.

Downside to using the latest stuff is it may be a little buggy, that being said, I've had that PPA installed into my sources file since I installed 10.04 and havent had a single problem yet.

A more drastic fix...delete the cautious-launcher script or alter it.

Its under

Code:
    /usr/bin/cautious-launcher

a note to Dev's: Either remove the new cautious-launcher script in Meerkat, or edit it to have a "Execute Anyway" Button in the script. Tradition is great, Unix Permissions are great. But you have a major flaw in the idea with CD's and other Non-rewritable media that cannot be editted to have the execution bit checked. When tradition gets in the way of practicality and usability..its time to start a new tradition.
    Last edited by Lolpanda; June 16th, 2010 at 12:32 AM.
    From The Ashes A Fire Shall Be Woken.

http://t1mb3rbr00k.spaces.live.com/default.aspx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Lolpanda View Post
    When tradition gets in the way of practicality and usability..its time to start a new tradition.
    And when convenience gets in the way of security you get Windows.

Allowing people to execute files which don't have the execute permission set without having to jump through hoops is a very, very, very bad idea.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast