Thread: Keys in notification area prompting change to privileges

Beans

Keys in notification area prompting change to privileges

Since reinstalling Ubuntu 9.10 and learning how to get the Notification Area working properly:

I've noticed an bunch-of-keys icon appearing intermittently in my notification area.

It appeared about 20 mins ago. I hovered the mouse over it and it generated the following text:

"Click on the icon to drop all elevated privileges"

I right-clicked on the icon, thinking I might learn something more about it. But it disappeared. No other messages were given.

It appeared again about five or ten minutes ago. I did not click on it. But it disappeared of its own accord after a minute or two.

What is this? Should I have clicked on it? What have I done? How can I get this bunch of keys under my control?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Keys in notification area prompting change to privileges

I don’t know what it’s for, but a similar thing appears in Ubuntu Lucid (except this time it’s a menu rather than a disappearing icon). I’ve reported it as a bug.

Beans
    Hidden!

If, in PolicyKit, the authentication mode for an action (i.e. install software or mount a partition) is set to auth_admin_keep or auth_self_keep the authorization is kept for a brief period when PolocyKit doesn't prompt you for a password. You can drop the elevated privilege by clicking the key icon. It's PolicyKit's equivalent of sudo -k.
    Last edited by sisco311; March 28th, 2010 at 11:13 PM.

Beans

Cool. Don't know what you're talking about. But, cool.