Thread: Benefits of 64 bit Kubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Benefits of 64 bit Kubuntu

Hi there,

I'm thinking about getting a 64-bit AMD laptop and wondering if there's any benefit over a 32-bit using Kubuntu, and whether all/most apps work on it.
    My gambling anonymous class starts at ten to one.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Benefits of 64 bit Kubuntu

I got an AMD64 and downloaded the relevant Kubuntu package but it says I don't have a 64 bit. Ah well, 32-bit is fine.

Beans

64bit runs faster on number crunching (things like rendering, video and audio encoding, etc). Its porbably about 5-10% faster for general tasks. Almost everything has a 64bit port, and it if doesmt you can normally install the 32bit version as well, but that might take a bit more stuffing around.

What laptop/chip? Almost all the AMD laptops are 64bit.

Beans
    Distro

I installed the 32-bit Kubuntu without a hitch. The laptop is a Fujitsu Lifeook S2110 with AMD Mobile Sempron (Most specs here: http://www.fujitsu.com/hk/news/pr/ar.../20050816.html, but upgraded to 1GB RAM and better processor which is still a 64 bit). It has XP 64 bit on it currently - no Linux unfortunately. Thought I'd hold out and see what I'm doing wrong with the 64-bit. Always good to squeeze a little extra out of something!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

If you only have 1 GB ram there is no point in installing 64 bit.

Beans

seenthelite- I've never seen benchmarks for 1GB 32bit vs 64bit, but its faster @ 2GB, I can see no reason why it wouldnt be faster @ 1GB.

Quote Originally Posted by chris.willis View Post
    I installed the 32-bit Kubuntu without a hitch. The laptop is a Fujitsu Lifeook S2110 with AMD Mobile Sempron (Most specs here: http://www.fujitsu.com/hk/news/pr/ar.../20050816.html, but upgraded to 1GB RAM and better processor which is still a 64 bit). It has XP 64 bit on it currently - no Linux unfortunately. Thought I'd hold out and see what I'm doing wrong with the 64-bit. Always good to squeeze a little extra out of something!
    Odd..turion64, it should work, and with XP_64 working, I'm sure its 64bit capable. *shrugs*

Beans
    Distro

Thought I'd ask the question. Funny one, though. If it's any value, 32-bit Kubuntu appears quicker than Windows 64-bit XP, especially on boot with a near-clean install. It's not a new laptop but Kubuntu is perfect with it. May as well wait for 10.04 and crawl along. Thanks for looking into this enquiry. I apreciate it.