Thread: Microphone not working for skype

Beans

Thumbs down Microphone not working for skype

Hello
    I am new to this, so please bear with me..
    I have looked long and hard on this forum and have yet to find a solution, though I have tried a number of things..
    let me detail the fault:
    My skype was working fine yesterday and today I took some updates and now my microphone is not working in skype. I believe the updates were about pulseaudio..
    I have since removed pulseaudio and all this caused was dodgy sound and the sound preferences to not open correctly with a message "waiting for sound to start"- I cannot remember the actual message right now..
    I have re-installed pulseaudio a number of times but the microphone refuses to work.
    I have removed skype and reinstalled and tried in vain to find skype 2.0, I can only find 2.1..
    I have installed pulseaudio volume controls and other pulseaudio components but have had no joy. This is where I hit a wall of lack of knowledge..
    Please can someone give me some help as the answers so far on this forum have not fixed my issue. Perhaps I am not doing them correctly, so some step by step guides would be nice.. If you need screenshots or log files, please ask and I will be happy to provide..
    Many Thanks in advance
    Pete

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Microphone not working for skype

If you type "alsamixer" into a console, are the volume bars for mic turned up?
    Lenovo Y550 Laptop - 2.10 GHz Intel Centrino Core 2 Duo - Running Lucid (32-bit)

Beans

I have now uploaded the screenshot, better than the txt dump I had before..
    weird.. anyway, whatever, here is the screenshot
    however, I think there is no mic volume bars..
    in the meantime, I have actually totally trashed the install, so I decided to re-install & take updates, install skype and try again.. so my system is now clean, updated and ready to go with none of my previous attempts at fixing it and still the microphone does not work!!! gutted..
    I do know that the microphone does actually function since I have XP on here and it works fine with that; so it is not a hardware fault..
    I have since played with the input volume and but boosting the mic does not work..
    please can someone give me an idea on how to update drivers or change settings so the mic will start working?
    This seems to be a 'normal' fault with ubuntu 9.10 as I have seen a lot of people on here with the same issue, but no real answers yet.. I think pulseaudio have a lot to answer for!!
    thanks for any ideas..
    Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by alchemist2010; March 27th, 2010 at 10:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Hi
    I also have the same issue. My mic does not work in skype. but it works sound recording programme of ubuntu....
    With regards
    Dr Kurian
    Microsoft gives you Windows... Linux gives you the whole house.