Thread: ATI 5750 Drivers (Black Screen)

Beans

ATI 5750 Drivers (Black Screen)

Hi. i just installed Ubuntu 9.10. I have ATI 5750HD Video card. I used envyng to install the recommended ATI driver which is 8.660. Once i rebooted the computer after the ubuntu splash screen the monitor goes black (but i can hear the sound in the background, i can even log in the system by click on left mouse and typing in the password and hit enter) for now i booted up in the console and removed the ati driver using Envyng. Whats the solution to this problem.

I was gone try using the open source drivers, but the to see if my card is compidibale with it. i had to type in {lspci -nn | grep vga} but i get no reply back on the terminal.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Edit: i have also tried using the proprietary driver FGLRX from the hardware drivers menu, but i get the same black screen.

I HAVE hannspree HF237 model monitor. its hooked up with VGA port via DVI Adapter.. (does this have anything to do with it ?
    Last edited by kru83; March 27th, 2010 at 12:24 AM.

Beans

Re: ATI 5750 Drivers (Black Screen)

Problem solved.

i downloaded the ATI Driver from its web site, i had the same problem but after reading some docs on the site, i found out that X server had fail to start. so i had to go in the console and type in aticonfig --initial -f. after the restart it worked.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi guys, I have almost the same card (HD5650) and I have the same problem. Except that I can never get through the black screen. Everytime I turn it on, it shows the ubuntu splash screen and then goes black. I press shutdown and I can see the splash screen again, this time shutting down. I have tried booting from the recovery mode but I get the same results.

Any ideas? Thank you very much!

Beans

Hi,

I also have this problem, but only when I logoff to the logon screen or perform a Fast User Switch.
    Then the screen goes black. I have a ATI 4500 series card.