Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: digital camera not regocnized by ubuntu

Beans

Red face digital camera not regocnized by ubuntu

I switched back to windows vista for awhile and go tused to it, and had my friend install ubuntu back on my pc, beacuse i missed it.

however now my digicam doesn't work. i'm kinda a n00berz when it comes to computers so i am trying to figure this out. what do you think?/

Ubuntu is for everyone!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: digital camera not regocnized by ubuntu

More info, please. What version of Ubuntu? What brand and model of digicam? It is helpful if you say, "I did X and Y, and expected Z, but instead, this other thing happened."

In my experience, the best way to deal with cameras and camcorders is to connect the USB cable to the computer and camera, then turn the camera on. Within a few seconds something happens, sometimes it is just the appearance of an icon on the screen as if you attached a hard drive.

Beans

Wink Re: digital camera not regocnized by ubuntu

I have one that is newer. The plug seems to be secure and fit niceley. The logo has since fell off after I let a friend borrow, but I think it is Codec or something.

Ubuntu is for everyone!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have never plugged a camera into any system windows nor Ubuntu. I plug the media card in. My portable has a muticard reader built in and for my desktop I built with with a multicard reader/floppy drive. I also have a cheapo multicard reader/usb device. This way I can read my cards and any friend's cards without the special cables usually required.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Arrow Re: digital camera not regocnized by ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    I have never plugged a camera into any system windows nor Ubuntu. I plug the media card in. My portable has a muticard reader built in and for my desktop I built with with a multicard reader/floppy drive. I also have a cheapo multicard reader/usb device. This way I can read my cards and any friend's cards without the special cables usually required.
    I need to plug my camera in to get the pictures off it because it is a digital and not a media card. This cable has worked before in vista so i think it can be made working in ubuntu because I hear that vista is hard to make work.

Ubuntu is for everyone!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I use several cards for my camera. It is more of a backup that way. When one card gets near full I use the other. By then I should have backed up my computer to cd/dvd so I have multiple backups, just in case. On vacation I may take both if we go berserk and take a lot of pictures.

If it is a digital camera it has a media card. Several types are used as all brands do not use the same. My reader is a 7 in 1 but I have seen much higher numbers on newer readers.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Red face Re: digital camera not regocnized by ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    I use several cards for my camera. It is more of a backup that way. When one card gets near full I use the other. By then I should have backed up my computer to cd/dvd so I have multiple backups, just in case. On vacation I may take both if we go berserk and take a lot of pictures.

If it is a digital camera it has a media card. Several types are used as all brands do not use the same. My reader is a 7 in 1 but I have seen much higher numbers on newer readers.
    I do not know it has a media card what that is?

Ubuntu is for everyone!

Beans

Do I need to backup CDS and DVDs to make it work? I have some blank Blue Rays so if I could use those that would be great.

Ubuntu is for everyone!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by uberbuntufan64y View Post
    I switched back to windows vista for awhile and go tused to it, and had my friend install ubuntu back on my pc, beacuse i missed it.

however now my digicam doesn't work. i'm kinda a n00berz when it comes to computers so i am trying to figure this out. what do you think?/
    Please explain in more detail what you meant by "digicam doesn't work" because this can be many things.

Some example:
    1. Turn digicam on, plug into USB port. Nothing happened.
    2. Turn digicam on, plug into USB port. Dialogbox pop-up with error message "abc..."
    3. Turn digicam on, plug into USB port. An application "def.." started but it showed an error message "ghi..."
    4. Turn digicam on, plug into USB port. An application "def.." started but I cannot find the pictures from the digicam.

Beans

I take it when you had Ubuntu installed before it worked ok?
    are you using the same version of Ubuntu as before.
    The Dyslexic Moron. user 448495 running Arch Linux 64bt
    AMD 6000x2 64bit, Asus motherboard, 8Gb Ram,Nvidia 8500 1gb unboard ram graphics card, Plextor PX760, EPSON R300, Sata 250 gb+Sata 500gb + 2 x 500 usb Hardrives,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast