Thread: Is GT 240 supported in mythbuntu

Beans

Is GT 240 supported in mythbuntu

I have stutter problem with my 9400 GT and want to buy a GT 240 with GDDR5. Currently there is one on sale for $65 after rebate. However, I am worried about getting it to work in my mythbuntu box.

I have a standard 9.10 installation with proprietary nvidia drivers. I notice that driver version is some 18x... I am told that I need version 195x to get GT 240 working. What do I have to do to get this version. Is there a tutorial of some sort for this/ My google search does not come up with any instructions. I only get general description of capabilities nothing about getting driver/installation. I am a debian user and have started using mythbuntu only a month ago. So I am a bit less educated in the workings of a ubuntu releases.

Ramesh

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Is GT 240 supported in mythbuntu

For the Nvidia Driver, you can use the Mythtbuntu auto-build (Install the newer Nvidia driver in synaptic after you add the repo):

http://www.mythbuntu.org/auto-builds

Follow these instructions here for upgrading and patching ALSA if you plan on using HDMI audio:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title...T220,_or_GT240

Beans

Thanks. I will try the auto build. I am only interested in video and will use exisitng motherboard autio.
    I am connecting audio to receiver that does not have a hdmi input.

Ramesh

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

It's quite possible that the stutter is due to delays elsewhere, and has nothing to do with your video card.

Beans

It is entirely possible that the bottleneck is elsewhere especially because it has an old MB (nvidia 6100 + AMD 939 2G) with 1.5G sata. Since the stutter is occasional when I am not doing anything on the machine and 9400GT is limited in VDPAU, I like to begin there.

That said, I am interested in understanding your thoughts. Can you give me some pointers that I can experiment with? BTW, I have turned of all freq scaling stuff that is supposed drop bus speeds. Load on the
    machine is usually less than 30%. So, I doubted video. Besides, increasing vdpaubuffersize to 32 did improve, but could not make the stutter go away.

Ramesh

Beans
    Distro

Are backend and frontend on the same machine? If not, something as simple as another person on the network running a bittorent download could cause stuttering.

Likewise, there are background processes in Ubuntu which might be responsible.

Beans

I fired off a tail -f /var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log and started
    watching TV. Each time it stuttered, I noticed that mythweather process
    would spawn something that will get weather data. I suspect this is the
    problem for my stutter. This explains why my stutter would be very
    periodic and would go away when I wait for a while (pause). It is too
    much of a coincidence for video to have tough to render passages at such
    regularity. I have turned off mythweather. So far (about 30min) no stutter. So this
    looks like it.

Ramesh

Beans
    Distro

Excellent! You should mark this thread as "solved" using the "thread tools" at the top of the page.