Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: is this a violation?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: is this a violation?

That's another legitimate concern that we try to keep in mind.

The other extreme is where we have to write a series of books to cover every possible situation and then add to it often when others conceive of possibilities we didn't think of. That is both exhausting and irritating. I already think our list of rules is really long...if only this would work all of the time:

Be respectful of all users at all times. This means please use etiquette and politeness. Treat people with kindness and gentleness. If you do this the rest of the code of conduct won't need more than a cursory mention.
    It does work most of the time, by a wide margin. Unfortunately, there is room for reasonable people to occasionally disagree about what constitutes respectful behavior and just enough unreasonable people with poor social skills to require more detail, sometimes lots more detail.

So, I guess we agree...it is a fragile and difficult balance that I think we usually do pretty well with.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans

Re: is this a violation?

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    So, I guess we agree...it is a fragile and difficult balance that I think we usually do pretty well with.
    yeah, i think we do agree. as my doctor is also one of my students and a friend, he can be a little bit more open with me about just how vague the practice of medicine can be, calling it as much an art as it is a science. as he says "it ain't math". in my experience as a voice teacher, another vague practice (how does one teach people to use muscles they can't feel?), it is not uncommon to tell ten people something and have only nine get it. when you tell the tenth person to do the exact opposite, all of a sudden, they get it. (wtf?) another grayed area for keeping rule is in figuring out what constitutes an offense. is it the intent of the supposed offender, or the perceived offense of the offended that determines the violation? if i wear a yellow shirt on a thursday, someone, somewhere, is going to get upset. not many people would find that too reasonable, so asterisk them. on the other hand, while the native american tradition of thanking the animals they have hunted for the food they have provided is a admirable position to other humans, to the deer, he's still dead and the good intentions of the hunter are of little comfort.
    thank you, dan henderson.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12