Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Samba & Active Directory

Beans

Re: Samba & Active Directory

Getting much closer.

Remove the "valid users" portion of your share definition, make sure the folder is chmodded 777, and try to browse to it again. (Always get "access at all" working before you try to get "access to some but not others" working.)

Although actually:

Code:
    smbclient -U administrator -L 127.0.0.1
    Enter administrator's password:
    session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
    Assuming you didn't fat-finger the Administrator password, that tells us right now that something else is up. Let's see the contents of /etc/nsswitch.conf, /etc/resolv.conf, and the Authentication portion of /etc/samba/smb.conf.

Beans

nsswitch
    Code:
    passwd:         compat winbind
    group:          compat winbind
    shadow:         compat winbind

hosts:          files dns
    networks:       files

protocols:      db files
    services:       db files
    ethers:         db files
    rpc:            db files

netgroup:       nis
    resolv.conf

Code:
    search domain.com
    nameserver ip.of.our.dns
    Also, now I changed access in the config, removed the valid users line and chmoded to 777 the test folder, and when I try to enter from a windows pc I get a "no process at the end of the pipe error"
    Software should be smart, not clever

Beans

When you say "ip.of.our.dns", is that the IP of your Active Directory dns provider? Typically, this should be one of your DCs.

Forget the Windows PCs for now, stick to smbclient, and to posting exact commands and exact results tried.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jrssystemsnet View Post
    When you say "ip.of.our.dns", is that the IP of your Active Directory dns provider? Typically, this should be one of your DCs.

Forget the Windows PCs for now, stick to smbclient, and to posting exact commands and exact results tried.
    Yes, it's the IP of our DC.

Ok I will stick to smbclient
    Here I've tried with my user in the DC
    Code:
    smbclient -U ronald_erazo -L 127.0.0.1
    Enter ronald_erazo's password:
    session setup failed: NT_STATUS_PIPE_DISCONNECTED

Beans

OK, look at the end of /var/log/samba/log.127.0.0.1 - anything interesting?

Similarly, look at the Event Viewer on the DC which you've configured as the admin server in krb5.conf - anything interesting?

Beans

Here's what I found in my event viewer

Code:
    During the previous 24 hour period, some clients attempted to perform LDAP binds that were either: 
    (1) A SASL (Negotiate, Kerberos, NTLM, or Digest) LDAP bind that did not request signing (integrity validation), or 
    (2) A LDAP simple bind that was performed on a cleartext (non-SSL/TLS-encrypted) connection 

This directory server is not currently configured to reject such binds.  The security of this directory server can be significantly enhanced by configuring the server to reject such binds.  For more details and information on how to make this configuration change to the server, please see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=87923. 

Summary information on the number of these binds received within the past 24 hours is below. 

You can enable additional logging to log an event each time a client makes such a bind, including information on which client made the bind.  To do so, please raise the setting for the "LDAP Interface Events" event logging category to level 2 or higher. 

Number of simple binds performed without SSL/TLS: 781 
    Number of Negotiate/Kerberos/NTLM/Digest binds performed without signing: 27
    Also when I run testparm I get a warning
    Code:
    rlimit_max: rlimit_max (1024) below minimum Windows limit (16384)
    And I could not find that log, there are various log files, but not one named log.127.0.0.1

Beans

OK, so what log files do you have under /var/log/samba?

Beans

log.smbd
    log.wb-BUILTIN
    log.winbindd
    log.winbindd-idmap
    log.nmbd
    log.wb-DOMAIN
    log.wb-HOSTNAME
    log.winbindd-dc-connect

Beans

Well, the first thing that tells me is that your Samba logging isn't Ubuntu standard configured, either.

Is this server already in use for production in any way, or is it still only being used for testing? Because honestly, I think you'd be better off reverting it to a known state - ie, Ubuntu default - and starting over, if that's feasible.

If it were me, I'd go to my DC and delete the machine from AD, go back to the Samba machine and apt-get remove samba and apt-get purge samba, rm -rf /etc/samba, rm /etc/nsswitch.conf, apt-get remove krb5-config, apt-get remove krb5-user, apt-get remove libkadm55, rm /etc/krb5.conf, undo anything you did following the other walkthrough... and then start over from the top.

There's just too much "well at this point not sure what's been done" going on right now for me to be able to give much help, as things stand. All I can tell you for absolute certain is that, if followed exactly from top to bottom on an Ubuntu Hardy server in otherwise default condition, that wiki article WILL produce a working Samba server joined to an AD 2003 domain.

Beans

This server has not been used for anything other than our file server, which we're currently configuring. I'm using Ubuntu server 9.10 and trying to join a Windows Server 2008 R2 AD domain. Let me try to start from scratch.
    Also what should a standard configured server look like? I'm guessing that the log part hints it. I installed samba at the moment of installing the server, perhaps that was the issue?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast