Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No xorg.conf found in /etc/X11 (Ubuntu 10.04)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

No xorg.conf found in /etc/X11 (Ubuntu 10.04)

Hey.

I'm trying to get a second monitor working on a Acer laptop running 10.04. It seems to work; the monitor is recognized and automatically configured (which is very nice, by the way!).

However, the monitor's refresh rates seem to be configured incorrectly. I thought "no problem, I'll just tweak the xorg.conf"... only to find that there is no such file. - I've used this monitor (A 19'' Acer LCD) before on this laptop, using an older version of Ubuntu (8.10 and 9.04), so it should be compatible.

Reading other threads here, I tried using a few versions of:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    But none of them really did anything, and no xorg.conf has shown up yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

A few spec highlights:
    • Acer Aspire 5670
    • ATI Radeon Mobility X1600
      "Mesa"/"radeon" driver. Auto intalled by Ubuntu.
    • Acer AL1916 (The extra LCD)
      Ubuntu identifies it as "Acer technologies 19''"

Thanks,
    - Atli

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: No xorg.conf found in /etc/X11 (Ubuntu 10.04)

Current version of X.org don't use a xorg.conf by default but try to recognize everything automatically. If you create a xorg.conf it will be used.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution may be helpful, too
    ClassicMenu Indicator - classic GNOME menu for Unity
    Unsettings - configuration program for the Unity
    Privacy Indicator - easily switch privacy settings in Unity
    Arronax - create and modify app starters

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thanks diesch. That link was a big help.

I've managed to use the xrandr command to modify the refresh rate, but I still can't seem to manage to sync the horizontal and vertical rates so the screen stops flickering.

Closest I've gotten so far is to use:
    Code:
    $ gtf 1280 1024 60
    to generate a Modeline, and then apply that to the screen by doing:
    Code:
    $ xrandr --newmode "1280x1024_60.00"  108.88  1280 1360 1496 1712  1024 1025 1028 1060  -HSync +Vsync
    $ xrandr --addmode VGA-0 "1280x1024_60.00"
    $ xrandr --output VGA-0 --mode "1280x1024_60.00"
    The screen still flickers, but not as badly as it used to. It's more like a slow "wobble" right now
    Still unusable, of course, but I'm getting closer (I think).

Thanks again.

Beans

Seems I am having the same problem, I just upgraded from 9.10 to 10.04 Beta 2.

Using a atix1250 and an external Samsung SyncMaster2333.

Have you made any leadway?

I will start playing with the xrandr commands this weekend to see if I can come up with a acceptable fix.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by AtliThor View Post
    The screen still flickers, but not as badly as it used to. It's more like a slow "wobble" right now
    Still unusable, of course, but I'm getting closer (I think).

Thanks again.
    I have a similar config to you and I tried 59.5 for the refresh. Works fines, no flickering. Now I just need to figure out how to generate a new xorg.conf to get the settings to persist.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

how do i use "xrandr" to manually set my laptop's main resolution? i dont have any external monitors...

Beans

Is it possible to edit the xorg.conf file? It says it's owned by root and I can't make any changes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi all. Just read this thread and figured I'd throw in what little knowledge I've gained so far. You can create an xorg.conf file by entering recovery mode (hold down shift at startup, or choose it from GRUB when it appears) and type:
    Code:
    sudo Xorg -configure
    at the prompt.

To test it I've read you can use:
    Code:
    X -config /root/xorg.conf.new
    but I cant be sure if it works because I haven't tried it. However it is supposed to work if you get a grey grid screen with the cursor. All I know is I now have an xorg.conf and Lucid does use it because it is in my /var/log/Xorg.0.log file,it just doesn't use it by default.This code says it is in the /root folder, but I found mine in my /home folder, you might check before you run it to be sure. I think you still have to be in recovery mode to do this code as well.

To move the file to its proper location where it is looked for by X type:
    Code:
    cd /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    just replace /root with whatever directory it happens to be in when it's created.

Also, if you need to back up your xorg.conf:
    Code:
    cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
    it will move you current configuration to a backup file in the same directory and allow you to piddlefartass with the new one.

Hope this helps someone!

Oh yeah, to edit the xorg.conf when it is owned by root:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit etc/X11/xorg.conf
    but you probably want to back it up before you mess with it.

Peace,out.

Beans

This is also relavant to me.

I'm currently rebuilding a Mame box. Currently it is running Windows XP with an ArcadeVGA AGP card. System works well but it's time to upgrade the hardware.

I've built a newer machine from scrap bits and pieces (Dual CPU P3's 256MB RAM and an ATI Rage 128) installed Xubuntu 10.04, sdlmame and Wah!Cade. Everything is running beautifully with a standard monitor and now it's time to switch it into the cabinet and hook up the 15KHz screen.

However I've had difficulty finding comprehensive information regarding setting Xorg up for this. I would like to keep this setup running as it's a very neat interface and looks great when running.

So far I have tried a few things form this tread and others like it. I am hoping someone has written a script to do this automagically and i've just failed to find it. I know the Lincade project has some scripting written for it and I'm about to troll them for info.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I hear that. I wish I knew more about scripting, but all in good time. But I do know the above codes work to get an xorg.conf created and that Lucid does refer to it once it's created, but beyond that the settings of your machine is all on you. Good luck getting your system fine tuned.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast