Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: rtorrent over VPN

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    24

    rtorrent over VPN

    Is it possible to limit rtorrent to only connect to the net through a VPN tunnel? That is, I want rtorrent to only run actively when it is connected to a specific VPN service so that all traffic from rtorrent is encrypted through that tunnel.

    If the tunnel to the VPN is lost, I don't want rtorrent to access the net at all.

    If it is possible, how is it done?


    Original:
    I want to run rtorrent over a vpn service and be sure that rtorrent only runs when I am connected to the vpn. Is that possible? If possible, how would it be done?
    Last edited by Heinrisch; March 26th, 2010 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Clarifying..

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    24

    Re: rtorrent over VPN

    Does anyone know?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Newry, Northern Ireland
    Beans
    1,258

    Re: rtorrent over VPN

    I'm not sure what you would do to achieve this, but remember that VPN tunnels will have much lower throughput generally because all traffic is normally encrypted and decrypted at either end of the tunnel. Your speeds WILL suffer.
    Can't think of anything profound or witty.
    My Blog: http://gonzothegeek.blogspot.co.uk/

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    24

    Re: rtorrent over VPN

    Quote Originally Posted by spynappels View Post
    I'm not sure what you would do to achieve this, but remember that VPN tunnels will have much lower throughput generally because all traffic is normally encrypted and decrypted at either end of the tunnel. Your speeds WILL suffer.
    Please answer the question instead of questioning it. I know how VPN tunnels work.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South Dakota, US
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: rtorrent over VPN

    1) Please read this link: http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct/

    2) Could you explain what it is that you actually want?
    2a) If what you want is to tunnel the traffic over VPN, then just do that. Setup a port for your torrent client, forward the port over the VPN. Easy as pie. There's plenty on google about doing that.

    3) Learn patience. Just because you have to wait a little while doesn't mean nobody will answer. It was most likely the bad question that caused nobody to answer you.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    24

    Re: rtorrent over VPN

    Quote Originally Posted by mtecknology View Post
    1) Please read this link: http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct/

    2) Could you explain what it is that you actually want?
    2a) If what you want is to tunnel the traffic over VPN, then just do that. Setup a port for your torrent client, forward the port over the VPN. Easy as pie. There's plenty on google about doing that.

    3) Learn patience. Just because you have to wait a little while doesn't mean nobody will answer. It was most likely the bad question that caused nobody to answer you.
    1) I have read the ubuntu code of conduct and I don't see how it would be relevant in this case.

    2) I want to make sure that rtorrent runs when I am connected to a VPN and otherwise not. spynappels obviously understood the question but did not bother to answer it. His response was completely irrelevant and that is why I got upset. I have seen these kinds of responses from people who only want to get many posts as fast as possible and I am tired of it.
    2a) I have tried using google but did not find anything, that's why I asked here.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Newry, Northern Ireland
    Beans
    1,258

    Re: rtorrent over VPN

    I did not answer, because I am not sure of the answer.

    If you do not post more detail in the question you will get well-meaning individuals asking if you are sure this is what you want to do because of this or that consequence of doing it that way.

    Brusque and rude replies will not get you any more answers. Courtesy will.

    If you would like to give a little more background info on the situation you face, someone may be able to help you, or else suggest a different way of achieving the same goal.
    Can't think of anything profound or witty.
    My Blog: http://gonzothegeek.blogspot.co.uk/

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    24

    Re: rtorrent over VPN

    Quote Originally Posted by spynappels View Post
    I did not answer, because I am not sure of the answer.

    If you do not post more detail in the question you will get well-meaning individuals asking if you are sure this is what you want to do because of this or that consequence of doing it that way.

    Brusque and rude replies will not get you any more answers. Courtesy will.

    If you would like to give a little more background info on the situation you face, someone may be able to help you, or else suggest a different way of achieving the same goal.
    But you did answer the thread with an answer that was irrelevant. However, I will apologize, I did not mean to sound rude or attack anyone. I guess I have been hanging in the wrong message boards to much. I am sorry if I upset anyone, and I will try to specify my questions a better in the future.

    What I want to do is limit rtorrent so that it can only access the net through the VPN tunnel and not otherwise. I want to route all my rtorrent traffic through the encryped tunnel. I will try to clearify in my original thread.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: rtorrent over VPN

    maybe im also lost on the question but why wouldnt you just connect to the torrent server, start rtorrent client, and when you disconnect from vpn then close the rtorrent client to prevent it from running when your not on it? Again it sounds so simple because im not sure about the question.
    Ubuntu Christian Edition chat on irc at server: OFTC/channel: #ubuntuCE
    BootInfoScript DualBooting
    Grub Grub2 MBR/GRUB
    Boot Info Script courtesy of community member meierfra and ghulselmans

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Beans
    24

    Re: rtorrent over VPN

    Quote Originally Posted by stlsaint View Post
    maybe im also lost on the question but why wouldnt you just connect to the torrent server, start rtorrent client, and when you disconnect from vpn then close the rtorrent client to prevent it from running when your not on it? Again it sounds so simple because im not sure about the question.
    rtorrent is going to run on my server, which is up 24/7. My assumption was that if the tunnel to the VPN server is lost, rtorrent will connect directly to the net. I want to prevent that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •