Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Howto: The Epic Baldurs Gate Installation

Beans

Re: Howto: The Epic Baldurs Gate Installation

Hi, really thankful to you for making this guide but I seem to have come across a problem. I've done everything, installed all the games, backed up the discs (I have the 4 DVD box set), patched ToB, installed Tutu, used Winetricks to set up IE7, installed the Widescreen mod and made sure the 3D acceleration is off.
    However...
    If i run it from the menu I get "Error: File Not Found"
    and if I run it from the terminal I get:
    "An Assertion failed in ChDimm.cpp at line number 628
    Programmer says: Unable to Open BIF:data\Hd0GMosc.bif"
    followed by:
    "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    Runtime Error!
    Program C:\ProgramFiles\BaldursGateTutu\BGMain.exe
    abnormal program termination"
    I'm running Mint Ubuntu on a Toshiba Satellite Pro L300, which I'm pretty sure should be able to handle this game. Any advice or possible fixes you could give me would be greatly appreciated. You did a really good job of selling the whole Tutu package and now I REALLY want to play this game!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by jkavanagh00 View Post
    Hi, really thankful to you for making this guide but I seem to have come across a problem. I've done everything, installed all the games, backed up the discs (I have the 4 DVD box set), patched ToB, installed Tutu, used Winetricks to set up IE7, installed the Widescreen mod and made sure the 3D acceleration is off.
    However...
    If i run it from the menu I get "Error: File Not Found"
    and if I run it from the terminal I get:
    "An Assertion failed in ChDimm.cpp at line number 628
    Programmer says: Unable to Open BIF:data\Hd0GMosc.bif"
    followed by:
    "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
    Runtime Error!
    Program C:\ProgramFiles\BaldursGateTutu\BGMain.exe
    abnormal program termination"
    I'm running Mint Ubuntu on a Toshiba Satellite Pro L300, which I'm pretty sure should be able to handle this game. Any advice or possible fixes you could give me would be greatly appreciated. You did a really good job of selling the whole Tutu package and now I REALLY want to play this game!
    You say you installed Tutu, is that Easytutu or BGTutu? Tutorial is for Easytutu.

The BIF-line is about some game-resource file (BG stores its gamecontents in bif-files, kinda like Doom stores its stuff in .pak-files). See if you can locate the file in your game directory, if it exists, if its permissions (maybe it's read-only or some of the kind).

The aforementioned error could also be tied to the "Visual C++"-line, ie. there's some winecomponent missing. Try winetricks and install anything Visual C++-related.

As you might have guessed I haven't had this particular error, but I'd go for those seeing an error like that. Just a guess on my part.
    "Act only according to that maxim by which you can also will that it would become a universal law." - Immanuel Kant
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

Beans

Hey, thanks for getting back to me on this. I got all the updates I could for C++ but I'm pretty sure that wasn't the issue. I'm going to run the install again and just make sure I got the directories right (btw I definitely used Easy Tutu). I guess I'll let the thread know when and how I get it to work

Beans

Hi there !
    I don't know if my reply will be read because of the date, but i'll see.
    First, thank you for this tuto !
    A friend of mine made me discover Baldur's Gate games and wonders !
    As I run a debian so I had to run it via wine. So I did and started with the BG1. Worked correctly, somehow with few bugs seen in tutos (videos sequences crash, wiverns encounters crash, sound bugging ...), but the game worked.

Before arriving in the Baldur's Gate city, because I appreciate the game, decided to upgrade the installation. To do so this friend landed me his old DVDs (set with 4 DVDs, BG1, BG2 and both extensions, edited by "Mindscape" in France - so french version, but propose an english version too). And I searched ways to install correctly the game on linux, with mods.
    The installation of the game works, but I have troubles with EasyTutu.

Here technical details:
    - I run a eeepc 1000He, Debian Wheezy 3.2.0, lxde 0.5.5.2, wine 1.0.1-3.1
    - I install wine programs in differents .wine config, in a dedicated partition with the WINEPREFIX command. Here: /mnt/Wine/BaldursGate
    - So, a french edition of DVDs, but to stick with the tuto, I installed the english version of the game (voices and comments are definitly less stupid than the french version !)
    - difference with your tuto: I did iso copies of the DVDs to keep them in the pc (eeepc doesn't have CD driver). So I keep ISOs mounted into /media/BG/BG /media/BG/BGEXP etc.

So.
    - The install of the two games, english version, and the two extensions worked w/o problem.
    - as did the BGII-ThroneOfBhaal 26498 patch.

But the install of the EasyTutu didn't worked:
    After reading the EasyTutu page, I tried two ways:
    - the last updated EasyTutu stuff, with a .net framework 3.5 installed first in Debian.
    the install of the .net (win version) worked correctly. The EasyTutu didn't, here what wine tells me:
    Missing method .ctor in assembly
    Can't find custom attr constructor image: mtoken: 0x0a00000f
    [ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'EasyTutu_2011.App' from assembly 'EasyTutuManager, Version=1.0.8.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
    - then an older version as suggested by this same website:
    Some Installation files are corrupt.
    Please download a fresh copy and retry
    I redownloaded the file, but get the same result.
    Any suggestions ?
    To make my strongly armed knocking head dwarf dig all the Coast of the Sword pit a win!

Beans

No I can't install this just because I have 64 bit Ubuntu

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12