Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Temp Files???

Beans

Temp Files???

Ok, I admit to being a youtube addict. I have always been able to save flash videos from youtube by simply pausing the video in the browser and letting the download finish, and then just grabbing the video from file system / temp /. It was so easy! And now, for whatever reason, I cannot. The files are no longer there. I wondered if it was just a youtube thing but the same holds true for dailymotion as well. What gives? Did the latest update move them somewhere else?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Temp Files???

Hi,
    It appears the new flash player 10.2+ will be marking the cached flash files as deleted somehow. I'm guessing this might break some addons for *tube sites too.
    ...but the latest Flash 10.2 breaks it because the cached files are deleted from /tmp (but are still there). http://www.webupd8.org/2011/02/play-...lash-from.html

Beans

Suckage. Looking through the link it appears that most of that is way over my head, but I will give it a shot. Thanks for the response.

Beans
    Hidden!

Remember: according to the Youtube terms and conditions, you're supposed to use an approved player......
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

When I use Chromium, I still find the files inside my Chromium cache.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    When I use Chromium, I still find the files inside my Chromium cache.
    Same with Firefox, they were just moved into Firefox's own cache instead of /temp.

Beans

Can you tell me where to find firefox's cache? I'm still new enough to Linux that I get a bit lost with the file structure.

Also, I tried the workaround in the link posted about and got no love. I am fairly certain that it was done correctly as the launcher installed correctly, but when I follow the directions to launch mplayer nothing at all happens.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by lisati View Post
    Remember: according to the Youtube terms and conditions, you're supposed to use an approved player......
    Here is another point to consider: in my case, I have a medium speed Internet connection. This means that video usually comes in a little slower than it gets played. That causes freezes of the video and dropouts of the audio, making the presentation essentially unwatchable.

I work around this by letting the item play itself out and then use the temp file to view it. No freezes, no dropouts. My player is irrelevant; the relevant factor is the bandwidth of my Internet connection.

quadproc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If u want to download videos and convert it into a different format, try clipgrab or something. follow this link...
    "If you are in hell, keep going." Winston Churchil
    ubuntucrazygeek.blogspot.com
    http://motivatedsuccess.tumblr.com/
    http://pavelexpertov.tumblr.com/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by ubunwhat View Post
    Can you tell me where to find firefox's cache? I'm still new enough to Linux that I get a bit lost with the file structure.

Also, I tried the workaround in the link posted about and got no love. I am fairly certain that it was done correctly as the launcher installed correctly, but when I follow the directions to launch mplayer nothing at all happens.
    It's a hidden directory inside your home dir.

~/.mozilla/firefox/profilename/Cache/

Also note that the naming of cached flash stream was changed, it doesn't start with "flash" any more, instead being just a random string like all the other cached files are, so finding the flash video among all the other cached stuff might be a bit harder than before.
    Last edited by mcduck; February 16th, 2011 at 07:37 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast