Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I the Only One Without Issues With Karmic?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Red face Am I the Only One Without Issues With Karmic?

Ok, I don't know if I have just run into every problem under the sun already and know what to do to fix them, but am I the only one here that has had no problems with Karmic. If you look at my hardware, you will see that I have a pretty up to date machine. I did have to manually install the proprietary drivers from ATI, but I did it without a problem. I did have to go into alsamixer to enable my sound on my Xtremegamer X-fi, but it didn't hurt. Heck, I have Karmic running on my Athlon Neo Netbook without one issue.

So, my question is, since I have read quite frequently on these forums of late is that Karmic is the Vista of Ubuntu and to stick with Jaunty, am I the only one without any problems? Seriously, I haven't had one issue I couldn't solve quickly and without problems. In fact this is the first version of Ubuntu where I didn't have as many issues to fix as I normally do for out of the box love and support.

What exactly makes this version the Vista of Ubuntu?
    Big D
    My Blog
    AMD FX 9590 Vishera/32 Gig DDR3 1866/AMD R9 290X GHz Edition
    Win8.1 Pro 64 bit/Xubuntu 15.04 Beta 1 64 bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Am I the Only One Without Issues With Karmic?

I didn't have any issues with Hardy, Jaunty or Karmic (fingers crossed for Lucid).

Beans

+1
    The only problems I've had are ones I created myself and I can't think of one. Karmic has performed beautifully. I never used Juanty I went from 8.10 to 9.10

Why people say it's like vista is most likely that they are windows users, and since they don't take the time to learn, they complain, and they use windows as a comparison, and vista is the worst that they know of, so that's their example.

I don't hate windows. I just like ubuntu more (much more).
    Last edited by 2hot6ft2; March 22nd, 2010 at 05:50 PM. Reason: punctuation
    Ultimate Edition Links

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Karmic has been by far the best release in my personal experience.

Everything 'just worked' and very stable.
    The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I didn't have any real issues with karmic at release, though a good number of bizarre tiny ones came up a couple months ago (mostly pertaining to the mouse, suprisingly). I also noticed simmilar issues going on with my jaunty boxes as well at the same time, so I think it;s related to the rapid file kernel updates we've been getting recently. for a few weeks there i was really worried. had to reboot more to accomplish less than I ever have in ubuntu.

now both my karmic and jaunty systems are back to running smoothly.

Recently I've been having a heck of a time with the ATI proprietary drivers, but other than that, it';s been pretty smooth.
    Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hello All,

I started my Ubuntu experience with Intrepid Ibex; Karmic is superior, even if it's only 1 year after Ibex.

With Ibex, I got the gray-screened system freeze more than I liked...sometimes, it would be more than 30 seconds before the system restored.

With Karmic, I've gotten 3 freezes - each one has been less than 3 seconds.

I did have sound issues when I first installed karmic, which were resolved in 10 minutes.

I screwed up the grub 2 bootloader, but, thanks to Ubuntu forums, Grub2 was fixed with 2 command lines...

My machine, which started to slowdown in BS Sheetsa, is a couple of years old...I installed Ibex and my PC worked like new!

I still cant believe how much better karmic is than ibex...guess I've been one of the lucky ones...

Karmic is truly a cutting-edge OS...I will never go back to *******.

Can't wait for the Lucid Stable release, as Beta is not quite ready for everyday use...
    Last edited by OGpmpdog; March 22nd, 2010 at 06:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by JDorfler View Post
    So, my question is, since I have read quite frequently on these forums of late is that Karmic is the Vista of Ubuntu
    I think it's useful to bear in mind that a lot people only come to this forum if they have a problem, and as such are not a balanced representation of Ubuntu users.

Beans
    Hidden!

@JDorfler: Yes, you are the only one.

I have been using Ubuntu since Dapper, and have only had problems significant enough to revert to a previous version twice. One was with Karmic. I did a clean install and everything worked out of the box, but I had random kernel-panic freezes that I wasn't able to resolve. Since they occurred on my work machine and resulted in me losing work every time they happened, I didn't have the luxury of spending a lot of time troubleshooting, so I reverted to Jaunty which runs flawlessly.

I was tempted to try Karmic again after it had been out for a few months, but I never did. Kernel panics are no fun. I'm looking forward to trying Lucid, though. Problems with a couple of distros in all the years I've used Ubuntu haven't soured me on it at all.

I wouldn't go so far as to compare Karmic to Vista. My worst day using Ubuntu is still better than my best day using Winblow$.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Used Karmic from Alpha 3 onwards with NO problems. IMHO, best release yet......until

Installed Lucid from Alpha 2. Works great and is better than Karmic IMHO (again).

I use Lucid on my "production" machines with no fear because of GMail and DropBox. All my important stuff is backed up remotely so I can do a full re-install without thinking of data loss.
    Alan

Saddleworth, Manchester (UK).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

This is my first time with Ubuntu. I first installed Karmic on my ancient laptop after getting fed up with a 20+ min boot up time for XP. Had a few problems with the old hardware, but got going in the end.
    I liked Karmic so much that I put it on my desktop computer, which is only a couple of years old. Made a couple of stupid newbie mistakes, but it all worked without any problems.

I'll certainly be staying with Ubuntu.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast