Thread: Need help to repair kernel - file not found

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

SOLVED - Need help to repair kernel - file not found

When I attempt to boot into Ubuntu 9.10, I get the error: "Error 15: File not found"

I know the reason for this - I deleted it - Doh.

A latest upgrade told me I didn't have enough room in the boot partition to install the latest files, so I thought it would be a marvellous idea to remove the old stuff, to give it some room. I obviously deleted something that I needed by mistake. I was using synaptic to do the remove & thought I would be safe. A good learning experience.

In grub menu I have options: Kernel: 2.6.31-15 - generic and also its recovery option, both of which get the same error.
    (It's a dual boot with XP as the original os).

Ideally I'd just like to get the latest working kernel and put it somewhere appropriate, rather than do a full install. Is this possible and if so how? I have a separate boot partition (in dev/sda5), swap (sda7) and Linux (sda6).

I have a 9.04 livecd I can boot.

TIA!

________ SOLVED _______________________________________________

mounted the boot partition (to /media/karmic)
    and saw that it contained kernel 2.6.31-20 files
    so changed grub menu.lst to point to those and rebooted
    and it booted ok.

Then I wanted to check the kernel is ok, because I think this version was the one that did not install correctly because of lack of disk space, so
    sudo apt-get install linux-image
    Last edited by tort43; March 22nd, 2010 at 05:46 PM. Reason: solved

Beans

Re: Need help to repair kernel - file not found

hi, i'm having some problem like yours , after and upgrade my sistem collapse, and the kernel file dissapear, have u solutionated the problem??
    thanks