Thread: New Monitor Blues......

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 15.10 Wily Werewolf

New Monitor Blues......

I finally broke down and purchased a new monitor. The little 15" Samsung SyncMaster 570Vtft that I have had for ages just wasn't enough real estate. So, I got a ViewSonic VX2433wm 24" widescreen. I love the monitor but it's giving me the blues in Ubuntu.

I've got problems. The worst of which is that screen appears to be moving (vibrating?) along the outer edges. That start after passing the login screen. The resolution is 1024x768 after logging in. I attempted to capture a screen shot of the issue to no avail. The images look normal. It's really bad at 1024x768.

The manufacturer's recommended resolution for this monitor is 1920x1080. I can achieve that setting with a refresh rate of 60 Hz and there is a dramatic improvement from the previous setting. Although, it is not eliminated. The movement (vibration?) continues along the outer edges of the screen.

The last thing that I have issues with is that changing the settings to 1920x1080 is not persistent. Logging out reverts the graphics back to 1024x768 and an entire screen of movement/vibration.

Most of the threads that I have read seem to be a little different than my description. Most appear to be related to trying obtaining a specific setting that is currently not available. I want 1920x1080 and I have the option of choosing it. My issue are performance related after the desired setting has been chosen and also making the desired setting default. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. My graphics card is an Nvidia GeForce 6200 with 256 MB of memory using a PCI bus. Thanks....

Beans
    Distro

Re: New Monitor Blues......

Still no luck for me as of yet with resolving my issues. I checked in over at the ViewSonic site and there are no linux drivers. Apparently, they have some files that they can send so that you can make your own driver. I am awaiting the deliver of those....

Beans
    Distro

Re: New Monitor Blues......

Replying to myself but here goes. I decided to boot into windows and discovered that the same issue was happening on that platform also. I didn't notice it earlier. Although, I freely admit that I no longer spend much time in the Microsoft OS. After installing the monitor, I did install the drivers that were provided by the manufacturer but exited as soon as it was completed.

This time I spent a little more time in there. It helped as I was able to determine that my problems were not just in an Ubuntu environment. Once that was recognized I was able to change one setting on the LCD itself that cured movement/vibration. The response time was set at an advanced level. Changing it to standard got rid of the trouble on both platforms. Now to get Ubuntu to save the resolution at 1920x1080, 60 Hz but I think that this will be my last update....