Thread: Where is the gdm.conf in Ubuntu 9.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Where is the gdm.conf in Ubuntu 9.10?

I have been working on building a VNC server setup where a user can connect, and is shown the GDM greeter and they can log in and out just like a local user. I have gotten the VNC part to work fine, but when I connect, I get the blank grey X screen.

My reasoning for this is because the guides I have looked at ask me to edit the file /etc/gdm/gdm.conf. This file does not exist in my filesystem. I have even done searches for the file, and it does not appear in any other directory. I have tried to create the file but the changes are not applied.

Has the file been removed, replaced, or changed names?
    I really need to be able to make the changes that this file allows to be made.

I have been using Ubuntu for 3 years and I rarely need to pose questions to the forums, but this one has me completely stumped.

My system runs Ubuntu server 9.10, a fairly fresh install. [less than 2 weeks old]

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by markoid8; March 21st, 2010 at 07:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Where is the gdm.conf in Ubuntu 9.10?

Use /etc/gdm/custom.conf
    ClassicMenu Indicator - classic GNOME menu for Unity
    Unsettings - configuration program for the Unity
    Privacy Indicator - easily switch privacy settings in Unity
    Arronax - create and modify app starters

Beans

My 9.10 doesn't have this file.

Help?

Beans

Found it; not what we're looking for...

Beans

In Ubuntu 10.04, users who want to override gdm settings have to create a new file named /etc/gdm/custom.conf in the "keyfile" format. Meanwhile, the system default keys and values are in the human-readable file /etc/gdm/gdm.schemas. If you stare long enough at the XML-style stanzas in there, you can figure out the keys and values it sets. The official documentation at
    http://library.gnome.org/admin/gdm/s...ration.html.en
    makes a couple of useful points:
    1. The file gdm.schemas is machine-generated, and will be overwritten automatically during upgrades. So editing it is unwise, as the changes may get obliterated without warning.
    2. gdm has been changing a lot lately, and some of the options that were formerly available have gone away.
    The cited link provides a detailed list of supported keys and values.

Hopefully these notes apply also to Ubuntu 9.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by markoid8 View Post
    I have been working on building a VNC server setup where a user can connect, and is shown the GDM greeter and they can log in and out just like a local user. I have gotten the VNC part to work fine, but when I connect, I get the blank grey X screen.

My reasoning for this is because the guides I have looked at ask me to edit the file /etc/gdm/gdm.conf. This file does not exist in my filesystem. I have even done searches for the file, and it does not appear in any other directory. I have tried to create the file but the changes are not applied.

I have been using Ubuntu for 3 years and I rarely need to pose questions to the forums, but this one has me completely stumped.

My system runs Ubuntu server 9.10, a fairly fresh install. [less than 2 weeks old]

Read this tutorial, it cover GDM customization too:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6786897/ubun...ization.tar.gz

Beans

hi PhDLinux,

I have the exact same problem,
    were you able to solve your problem?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by markoid8 View Post

Hello everyone! markoid8, were you successful on setting up vnc to show gdm ? I've been searching to accomplish the same on my ubuntu server 10.04 box...

So far, I've been able to open the gnome session in the vnc session by putting gnome-session & ONLY in ~/.vnc/xstartup :

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    gnome-session &
    It all works well, I get my gnome session, but it skips login... I'd rather login normally into the session with gdm...

TIA
    Last edited by bohemier; August 3rd, 2010 at 08:46 PM.

Beans

#cd /
    #sudo find -name gdm.conf
    ./etc/dbus-1/system.d/gdm.conf
    ./etc/init/gdm.conf
    #

Beans

I found a great tutorial to create a vnc-based login server: http://oapeon.blogspot.com/2010/05/u...in-server.html

Works well for me... as for security, it doesn't metter much in my case since this is on a private network.

HTH