Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Starcraft 2 in WINE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HOWTO: Starcraft 2 in WINE

Quote Originally Posted by urbanus View Post
    I'm running Linux Mint 9 (fully updated), but unsure of what kernel since i booted back into Windows 7.

The thing is that I like to try and make things work, and I like Linux. But I knew even before I started that the chances it would work where REALLY slim. StarCraft played smoothly thou

I guess I'm stuck in Windows 7 (which isn't all that bad really) unless I want to dual boot, and I don't like dual booting to switch application :-/

Here's how you can get your kernel:

uname -a : print all information

uname -r : print the kernel release

uname -v : print the kernel version

uname -o : print the operating system
    And here's how you can install the latest kernel:

My understanding is that the 2-6-35 has better support for ATI drivers, and that some people have had issues with StarCraft on some kernels. (I can't find a link to confirm the StarCraft issues, so maybe someone can corroborate this!)

I know that's not enormously helpful, but maybe it'll get you somewhere.
    Dual booting wouldn't be an option for me either. StarCraft 2 will run in WINE, but frankly the Catalyst drivers are working against you there.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gloken View Post
    StarCraft 2 will run in WINE, but frankly the Catalyst drivers are working against you there.
    mhm.....amen to that

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HOWTO: Starcraft 2 in WINE (NVIDIA performance)

I picked up a few tips for getting better performance out of NVIDIA drivers. I haven't tried them all yet, but I thought I'd post them here for the benefit of anyone running it:

1) Update to the latest drivers:
    **Update** 256.44 are now the latest

SC2 is quite the resource monster, these drivers gives you a huge perfomance improvement over the older default Ubuntu ones. Open a terminal, alt+f2 and type in gnome-terminal.
    Then, copy and paste the line below.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates

Hit enter and then copy and paste.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-current-modaliases nvidia-settings

Then go to System > Administration > Hardware Drivers and make sure Nvidia 256.35 graphics drivers are activated.
    2) Disable UseGLSL in WINE.

'UseGLSL' to disabled
    http://wiki.winehq.org/UsefulRegistryKeys

Reportedly this should cause a very significant speed increase.

3) Vista Compatibility mode in WINE.
    I don't know about that one... doesn't seem like a very good approach, I'm much more comfortable with editing specific things in the WINE registry. Who knows, haven't tried it.

4) Someone on the WINE forum suggested enabling OpenGL and pbuffer.
    I read elsewhere that OpenGL doesn't work with it, so again, can't vouch for that.

I listed the tips in order of reliability, as you've no doubt noticed if you've read this far. Good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Anyone having an issue with strange, intermittent crashes?
    I've been plagued with them about once every couple hours, usually while loading a level.

And then this: http://ubuntu-ky.ubuntuforums.org/sh....php?t=1553055

...I'm not saying the last error is related, but I'm not saying it isn't either.

Update: Unless this happens again, I'm calling it hardware failure.
    Last edited by gloken; August 17th, 2010 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Resolved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If anyone is having problems with the downloader crashing during update, just close the crash message and wait a bit. When you do see that the downloader stops working (no traffic and no download progress for a minute, even at 0 Mb remaining) the open a terminal and use 'killall -9 BlizzardDownloa'. I had to do that quite many times during initial install and patching.

The downloader would 'crash', then it would download a few more megabytes and stall, then I kill it and the patcher restarts it, it ddownloads a few megs, crashes, stalls and it repeats. But at least it does go forward.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It runs like a dream for me. My only problem is that I have some black bars that are an inch wide crossing the map that wont go away. I am not sure whats wrong there. Any ideas?

I have a NVIDIA gt240 graphics card with the most recent drivers I am running Ubuntu 10.1 x64, Phenom 8950,

Beans

I know this forums been dead for a couple of months but I really want to play SC2 so thought I might as well try.

I can install and start SC2 without any trouble but when I try to start the campaign no video plays during the cut-scene, I just get the sound. When I actually start the first mission I get a blank screen with menus and sound.

I'm running it on a Dell inspiron 1525 with an Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

SC2 installation worked flawlessly on my PC via PlayOnLinux (couldn't see texts in installation, but I managed to guess where the buttons needed were). Though, I have AMD Radeon HD 5770 1GB GFX card (using Ubuntu 10.10, AMD's proprietary drivers installed via Ubuntu with Wine 1.3.6) and I'm having issues everywhere but in the main menu.

So, the menu works properly but everything after menu doesn't: Text in the loading screen is partly missing and when in-game, I can't see any units or structures - only the map. Also every time when I quit the game it crashes my PC...

I guess the problem with seeing only units was already marked as a bug with 'NEW' status in WineApp DB, so I'll just have to wait for a fix.

EDIT:

These are the bugs I'm experiencing myself right now:
    Missing letters and numbers in Starcraft II
    Starcraft II - In game, can only see the map.

Though the crashing when exiting weren't listed yet I think.
    Last edited by qualtch; November 6th, 2010 at 10:19 AM.

Beans

Wow I cant believe game as heavy as this will work on linux.
    Wish wine full support every windows application

Beans

Hi, everyone! I've played a few sc2 games and I have problems to move the camera left and right. Up and down is no issue. But when it comes to left and right it seems that the cursor is visible from ubuntu(9.xx) desktop instead of sc2 cursor. Anyone else have this problem? any solution?

Thx

EDIT: found this thread. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1554995

No solution for this bug?
    Last edited by Dave999; November 14th, 2010 at 05:53 PM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast