Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Wireless on asus 1001p Netbook help please..

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Beans
    4

    Question Wireless on asus 1001p Netbook help please..

    Hi

    Im a newb to ubuntu just wiped my brand new asus 1001p netbook of windwos 7 and put ubuntu netbook remix on it 9.10....

    Everything works great except the wireless...

    I know theres probally a billion topics on this, but i just need step by step easdy to follow guide on how to do this...

    I asked the IT at my work and he claims it cant be done, unless i switch out the internal wireless to a card that "just works", which im not comfortable with or use a usb wireless stick, which defeats the purpose of a netbook being so small....

    Im sure this can be done so please help me show up a IT that doesnt know linux

    BTW the wireless card is a atheros thats all i know..

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Beans
    108
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Wireless on asus 1001p Netbook help please..

    Hi,

    you may find this thread useful: Asus EEE 1001P wireless & mobile broadband. It seems to deal with the same issue as you have.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Beans
    9

    Re: Wireless on asus 1001p Netbook help please..

    I tried everything, madwifi etc... none works, it's all about having the RIGHT WinXp drivers. The drivers that came with my Asus Cd don't work.

    Visit www.atheros.cz

    If your card is an AR2427 like mine (also 1001p like you) then install ndiswrapper and ndisgtk, and using ndisgtk's graphical interface, install the XP-32bit drivers named 7.7.0.329 on the above website. You should install a file named 'netathw.inf' .
    The website doesn't let you choose drivers according to release number but rather according to the card you have. So, just click on SOME card in the list (one around the middle of the list) and then you will have a list of different releases for that card. 7.7.0.329 will be there. Click 'Download' below the explanation for 329, and then wait a little bit... it's coming from CZ so it takes some time for the download to begin. It's a 1.1mb file. 7.7.0.363 or 7.7.0.456 also works on my 1001p.

    If you need help installing ndiswrapper and ndisgtk just reply here.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Beans
    20
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Wireless on asus 1001p Netbook help please..

    I solved the issues with the wireless and the screen brightness control. As I am writing down my experiences and fixes in a blog you can find the exact steps over there:

    http://linuxon1001p.blogspot.com

    For wireless I use a self compiled native driver which was really not difficult to do and the brightnes issue is fixed completely including on screen notifications and auto dimming working.
    Last edited by olaf-g; April 2nd, 2010 at 03:31 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Beans
    11

    Re: Wireless on asus 1001p Netbook help please..

    Quote Originally Posted by borabosna View Post
    I tried everything, madwifi etc... none works, it's all about having the RIGHT WinXp drivers. The drivers that came with my Asus Cd don't work.

    Visit www.atheros.cz

    If your card is an AR2427 like mine (also 1001p like you) then install ndiswrapper and ndisgtk, and using ndisgtk's graphical interface, install the XP-32bit drivers named 7.7.0.329 on the above website. You should install a file named 'netathw.inf' .
    The website doesn't let you choose drivers according to release number but rather according to the card you have. So, just click on SOME card in the list (one around the middle of the list) and then you will have a list of different releases for that card. 7.7.0.329 will be there. Click 'Download' below the explanation for 329, and then wait a little bit... it's coming from CZ so it takes some time for the download to begin. It's a 1.1mb file. 7.7.0.363 or 7.7.0.456 also works on my 1001p.

    If you need help installing ndiswrapper and ndisgtk just reply here.
    I would suggest to go to the official Driver site and download the .inf file:

    http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx

    And also post here:

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...32/+bug/521967

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Land of Confusion
    Beans
    8,340
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Wireless on asus 1001p Netbook help please..

    Quote Originally Posted by Zone242424 View Post
    Hi

    Im a newb to ubuntu just wiped my brand new asus 1001p netbook of windwos 7 and put ubuntu netbook remix on it 9.10....

    Everything works great except the wireless...

    I know theres probally a billion topics on this, but i just need step by step easdy to follow guide on how to do this...

    I asked the IT at my work and he claims it cant be done, unless i switch out the internal wireless to a card that "just works", which im not comfortable with or use a usb wireless stick, which defeats the purpose of a netbook being so small....

    Im sure this can be done so please help me show up a IT that doesnt know linux

    BTW the wireless card is a atheros thats all i know..
    I ran this command to get my Atheros card working on my 1005 model Asus netbook.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-karmic
    Hope it helps,
    Ronnie
    Thank you for your contributions. "So long and thanks for the fish!"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Papakura, NEW ZEALAND
    Beans
    42
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Wireless on asus 1001p Netbook help please..

    The backports never worked for me in Ubuntu 9.10 or 10.04beta1/beta2. Windows lists my driver as a AR2427, in an Asus 1005PE which I believe is similar?

    I instead added the latest kernel modules manually. There is talk at the moment of having it in the backports for Lucid 10.04, but that is far from certain.

    Anyway, this works for me, and I would suggest you give it a go.

    This means the kernel has access to the latest wireless driver modules. It is better than the madwifi kludge, and of course, backports didn't work for me.

    Go here:
    http://wireless.kernel.org/download/...-wireless-2.6/
    and download the latest drivers, for example:
    http://wireless.kernel.org/download/...-04-18.tar.bz2

    Now extract these files
    Open a SHELL, and change into the directory created with the archive, it's probably something like:
    Code:
    cd ~/Downloads/compat-wireless-2010-04-18
    now select the driver
    Code:
    ./scripts/driver-select ath9k
    You now need to build the drivers
    Code:
    make
    Now install them with this
    Code:
    sudo make install
     sudo make unload
     sudo modprobe ath9k
    You will need to do ALL the above EACH TIME the kernel is updated.

    Networking works perfectly for me on my ASUS 1005PE now

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec, CANADA
    Beans
    275

    Question Re: Wireless on asus 1001p Netbook help please..

    Quote Originally Posted by olaf-g View Post
    I solved the issues with the wireless and the screen brightness control. As I am writing down my experiences and fixes in a blog you can find the exact steps over there:

    http://linuxon1001p.blogspot.com

    For wireless I use a self compiled native driver which was really not difficult to do and the brightnes issue is fixed completely including on screen notifications and auto dimming working.
    I have had a quick look at your blog. Is there any way to do this with the live CD? I'm not prepared to install the LUCID beta at this time, but running it as a live CD causes this problem:http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...33#post9140633

    I am running Karmic on an Asus EEE 1000 PC which has the RaLink 2860 card.


    viele Danke!
    "You only live once: let's make life better for each other."
    Lenovo G-50 / AMD 2.0 GHz. Mint 17.2
    Registered Linux User #193975

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Beans
    8

    Talking Re: Wireless on asus 1001p Netbook help please..

    Hi Dionblundell,

    You just saved me a LOT of head scratching.

    I can confirm this works on Lucid Lynx (RC) on the Asus 1001P 64bit (the newest laptop version of that variety) in case anyone else is looking for a wireless fix.

    Wifi connects to WPA etc fine. If you're bored of upgrading kernels (and having to rebuild modules) then try www.ksplice.com - it's fantastic.

    Chocolate milkshakes are on me, Dionblundell !

    JR

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •