Thread: Fixing video stuttering over HDMI

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Angry Fixing video stuttering over HDMI

I've posted this about a dozen different ways, but now I have new stuff to give making me start over again with a fresh clean thread.

I own a HP G60 laptop with an very useful HDMI connection. I usually download movies from my main tower PC and play them from the laptop onto my 42" plasma through the HDMI connection.

When I play movies on the laptop's screen, there are no problems whatsoever. All media players work well and give great audio and video.

When I play it through the HDMI, though, this is where things get bad. I typically use VLC or Miro players, but ANY player does the same thing: video and audio skips 0.3 seconds ahead because of a drop in audio, every 3-15 seconds.

The stuttering gets very erratic and is not regular. One player will play the video continually but cut out in the audio for half a second, whereas another will skip the video ahead when audio is out.

But all this happens ONLY WHEN IN HDMI.

I've looked throughout these forums for a thread like this, I've looked through ALSA threads to upgrade to the latest drivers, I have latest Nvidia drivers as well as I've played games on this lappy with no bugs.

Anyone has a clue, please lemme know. I currently use Jaunty (up-to-date), but beyond that I'm not sure what I have. If you need info, please post the command I must use as I'm only so-so with command line.

HELLLP!
    Couzin2000
    Blainville | Quebec | Canada
    couzin2000.net

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Fixing video stuttering over HDMI

Anyone?
    This has been posted a while ago... anybody have this problem? Or knows how to solve it?

I've tried again to find from other forums, but nothing pops up.
    Couzin2000
    couzin2000.net

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by couzin2000 View Post
    Anyone?
    This has been posted a while ago... anybody have this problem? Or knows how to solve it?

I've tried again to find from other forums, but nothing pops up.
    You should post on nvidia forums, there will be people more knowledgeable.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14

I think it's a driver issue with Nvidia.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks, good suggestion. Didn't think about that.
    Couzin2000
    couzin2000.net

Beans

I have the exact same problem as you. I been trying to figure this out and there is a lot of posts about stuttering audio that I am pretty sure relates to HDMI having nvidia hardware. In many cases it seems to be blamed on pulsaudio but I am pretty sure nvidia needs to fix this. I am off to their forum...

All sound works as it should when using optical spdif but hdmi gets the same drops as you describe.