Thread: File system broken, important files disappeared, help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Unhappy File system broken, important files disappeared, help!

Hi everyone,
    The other day I let someone with a Mac browse my external hard-drive and copy some files. Then when I plugged in the drive again, almost all of the folders were gone. A few folders are still there (all starting with A and B), but many important folders are missing. When I check how full the drive it, it is just as full as it is supposed to be; it looks like the files aren't deleted but just invisible. Showing invisible files doesn't make them come back. I haven't had a chance to try plugging the drive into a Mac because I don't own one.

I badly need to get these files back.

The drive is a 1TB USB drive made by Freecom and formatted as one big NTFS partition.

I tried to use TestDisk to restore the files but it said the file system is broken.

As far as I can tell, the files are there but the file table is broken.

Is there any way to restore the file table?

Any help appreciated!
    michael

Beans

Re: File system broken, important files disappeared, help!

Have you tried using CHKDSK on this?
    Debian 11 "Bullseye"
    HP Envy 2021 laptop
    Linux user since 1999.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by khelben1979 View Post
    Have you tried using CHKDSK on this?
    No, I haven't. How should I use it? Is there a good equivalent on Ubuntu?

Beans

You don't have the possibility to attach the usb disc to a Windows system? And no, I don't know about any Ubuntu equivalent, but maybe someone else knows?
    Debian 11 "Bullseye"
    HP Envy 2021 laptop
    Linux user since 1999.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I can reboot to Windows, I'm just somehow more comfortable with Linux tools these days.
    I'm a little worried about using chkdisk though, when I searched google for "chkdisk restore files" to find out how to use it for this, most of the results are instead about how chkdisk broke file systems... Any way to play it safe with this thing?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Michael%S View Post
    'm a little worried about using chkdisk though, when I searched google for "chkdisk restore files" to find out how to use it for this, most of the results are instead about how chkdisk broke file systems...
    I should imagine that in a lot of cases it was the users running chkdsk who broke their filesystems rather than chkdsk itself.

chkdsk is the Windows utility for checking and repairing NTFS filesystems. Since NTFS is a Microsoft filesystem, you really do need to use chkdsk to repair it. Indeed, man ntfsfix (from the ntfsprogs package) says:

ntfsfix is a utility that fixes some common NTFS problems. ntfsfix is
    NOT a Linux version of chkdsk. It only repairs some fundamental NTFS
    inconsistencies, resets the NTFS journal file and schedules an NTFS
    consistency check for the first boot into Windows.
    So you need to run chkdsk afterwards anyway.

By the way - Macs don't write to NTFS partitions ootb. You either have to enable write-capability in Snow Leopard (which is buggy - which is why it is disabled by default) or install ntfs-3g. You might want to find out how your Mac-using friend was writing to an NTFS volume and, if by ntfs-3g, suggest they check which version of ntfs-3g is installed, and whether it is compatible with the version of MacOSX they have. There have been some unfortunate bugs with earlier versions of the Mac ntfs-3g iirc.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Not sure.

I think you need to investigate what has happened to your partition a little more in detail. Opening up a partition software such as GParted will show you a little and then you can report back here if you see anything strange about your partition, perhaps?
    Debian 11 "Bullseye"
    HP Envy 2021 laptop
    Linux user since 1999.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by khelben1979 View Post
    Not sure.

I think you need to investigate what has happened to your partition a little more in detail. Opening up a partition software such as GParted will show you a little and then you can report back here if you see anything strange about your partition, perhaps?
    GParted spits out a bunch of warnings about cluster accounting and strongly recommends using chkdisk /f

So I guess that's what I'm going to do.