Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KDE Experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

KDE Experience

Hello,

I've stumbled upon KDE 4.4 after I heard some good about it on this forum.
    So I went on and installed a virtual box of Lucid Lynx kubuntu.

It's a really nice experience so far. So much that my wife wants it on her laptop instead of gnome.

I have to ask though. What are the stuff that you usually remove and install from kde to make it your own. is kmail nice or do you prefer thunderbird?

Empathy can handle gmail and facebook chat. I see none of this with kopete. How do you guys handle that? Any other things that bother you first and you found a work around for it?

Nico
    Linux cheat sheet

If you can't afford to loose it, if you don't know how to get it back: back it up.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: KDE Experience

As for KMail vs. Thunderbird, I tried both. I have been a Thunderbird user for many years, nonetheless I recommend you use KMail as it integrates much nicer with the KDE environment (Kontact, etc.) also in terms of look & feel.

I prefer Thunderbird for the following reasons, however:

A. Encryption works much better there together with Enigmail.
    B. Sheer number of available plugins.

If you plan on using GPG encryption, then don't use KMail. It's a real pain.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: KDE Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ndefontenay View Post
    Hello,

I've stumbled upon KDE 4.4 after I heard some good about it on this forum.
    So I went on and installed a virtual box of Lucid Lynx kubuntu.

It's a really nice experience so far. So much that my wife wants it on her laptop instead of gnome.

I have to ask though. What are the stuff that you usually remove and install from kde to make it your own. is kmail nice or do you prefer thunderbird?

Empathy can handle gmail and facebook chat. I see none of this with kopete. How do you guys handle that? Any other things that bother you first and you found a work around for it?

Nico
    if you like empathy there's no reason you can't use it in KDE. kopete works ok on several protocols - I wasn't aware gmail/facebook had an api you could hook into - I always just use the browser. Wouldn't be surprised to see a plugin for kopete that can do this sooner or later.

You could always roll your own plugin something like this

http://coderrr.wordpress.com/2008/05...book-chat-api/

am trying to think of the downside to using KDE and I really can't
    Last edited by xifer; March 20th, 2010 at 12:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thunderbird is better,because it is much faster,
    i don't like kde so much,it is laggy and sluggish compared to gnome that is really fast,why use kubuntu,when you can install kde interface on ubuntu with synaptic?
    Linux Ubuntu 9.10 32-bit
    2gb ram ddr3
    Intel(R)Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2200 2.2Ghz
    Ati HD3650

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Tikkyca View Post
    Thunderbird is better,because it is much faster,
    i don't like kde so much,it is laggy and sluggish compared to gnome that is really fast,why use kubuntu,when you can install kde interface on ubuntu with synaptic?
    but installing kde on ubuntu with synaptic is the same as installing kubuntu...
    and on what basis do you decide thunderbird is faster - and faster than what? doing what task? in fact TB3 is ok but the codebase may be fatally flawed - almost unmaintainable some might say.

if you have problems with performance using KDE (and if you do use KDE make sure you're also using kdm/kwin) compared to gnome then it's likely because of old hardware that can't handle all the bells and whistles of KDE - so tune it down a little. Still it will look better than gnome and you will be able to run any gnome desktop apps that you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Frankly performance doesn't really matter anymore nowadays. It's kind of moot since hardware has become so much more powerful, even netbooks become increasingly faster. Plus performance is very subjective, therefore I would leave it aside.

Gnome vs. KDE? Rather a matter of taste than anything else. Let's not get into this debate.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Kopete (latest version) already supports facebook (chat).

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by wieman01 View Post
    Frankly performance doesn't really matter anymore nowadays.

course it does - didn't you read that poster saying KDE seemed sluggish?
    not everyone has the latest and greatest hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by wieman01 View Post
    Plus performance is very subjective, therefore I would leave it aside.

Gnome vs. KDE? Rather a matter of taste than anything else. Let's not get into this debate.
    subjective? you think so? right. so we don't need faster chips wider buses - more registries.

gnome vs KDE is another matter - I do agree with you there - but I don't see why it should not be debated.

Beans
    Distro

Hi guys,

thanks for all the feedbacks. I don't want the subject to change in a debate of gnome vs KDE.

My mind is set. It's going to be KDE. I don't have the problem speed. I have a dual core laptop and 4 GB of RAM. It's flying already. Should fly even more once I shift to 64 bit.

The question was really: What do you guys add to make it even better?

I looked into the add/remove programs and the Software Centre has no entry. It's required to perform a search and get what you want from that list. It is rather hard and make it one notch closer to windows in the sense that under windows I don't know what to look for.

I love that Ubuntu offers a software centre with some apps put in the light. I don't see that in KDE.

Another problem that I have is the inclusion of Ubuntu One. Where's Ubuntu One in KDE? Will it be included in Lucid Lynx?

Finally to answer to people on this thread about bells and whistles vs speed: It depends of people, but in my family I'm the only guy and I have 3 girls. Glitters matters! All of the sudden things was pretty it makes it nice for them to get on Linux and try to figure out thing. it's something they are proud to show to their friends! Gnome is faster but it is rather ugly in comparison.

Nico
    Linux cheat sheet

If you can't afford to loose it, if you don't know how to get it back: back it up.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by xifer View Post
    gnome vs KDE is another matter - I do agree with you there - but I don't see why it should not be debated.
    Because it's not the thread for it. sorry but I really want solution for KDE which are not: install Gnome it's better.
    Linux cheat sheet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast