Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: KDE Experience

Beans

Re: KDE Experience

Hi, I've been using KDE since around 2004 when I first started using SimplyMEPIS. I've since moved to Kubuntu, but one thing I liked about MEPIS was that it was a "best of breed" system -- if KDE had the best app, that was included. If there was a better GTK app, that was included instead.

I see a lot of people say things on this forum like "I tried KDE but I didn't like the package manager/browser/whatever". It's like people think they have to use 100% KDE software if they use Kubuntu, which is silly.

In general, you get the most mileage from KDE if you use KDE software, because of the integration it offers; for example, if you use Kopete you can start a chat with someone from your programs menu or by typing their name in krunner (the alt+f2 run dialog). But that doesn't mean you can't use other apps instead.

My personal picks for software that I replace in KDE:
    - Kpackagekit -- Horrid, horrid, horrors. If you're not up to using a command-line package manager like aptitude, install synaptic.
    - Konqueror -- it's a nice browser from a features standpoint, but even if you switch to the webkit backend it just doesn't work well with a lot of "Web 2.0" type sites. I blame a poor javascript engine. I use firefox, but you might want to look at Arora or ReKonq if you want a good Qt-friendly webkit browser.
    - KOffice -- not yet ready for primetime (that's not just my opinion, it's what the devs themselves say). I use openoffice, or mostly Emacs.

Other than that, I'm fairly pleased with the KDE offerings. Some of it depends on your needs though. My chat needs are not extensive.

If you're a command-line person, install Yakuake. It's gives you a drop-down konsole session at a single keystroke. I live by it at work.

Any specific questions? What sort of things do you do on a computer?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by xifer View Post
    course it does - didn't you read that poster saying KDE seemed sluggish?
    not everyone has the latest and greatest hardware.
    Relax, dude. The OP has mentioned nothing in this respect. Suggest you read the first post again.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by ndefontenay View Post
    The question was really: What do you guys add to make it even better?

Nico
    That's indeed a bit of a drawback. Ubuntu's package manager makes is a little easier for users to choose.

It really depends on what you like to do. I usually install these programs in addition to what comes with Kubuntu:

Kaffeine (media player)
    Gimp (image manipulation)
    Freemind (mind mapping)
    Unison (data synchronization)
    Truecrypt (encryption)
    Last.fm (Last FM client)

There are tons of other useful programs though. Have you played around with the desktop widgets yet?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by wieman01 View Post
    Relax, dude. The OP has mentioned nothing in this respect. Suggest you read the first post again.
    I'm relaxed - don't worry about me. It wasn't the OP that said it but another poster. That's why I didn't say OP

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Because it's not the thread for it. sorry but I really want solution for KDE which are not: install Gnome it's better.
    In my world wherever a discussion goes is where it goes.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi guys,

My mind is set. It's going to be KDE. I don't have the problem speed. I have a dual core laptop and 4 GB of RAM. It's flying already. Should fly even more once I shift to 64 bit.

The question was really: What do you guys add to make it even better?

I looked into the add/remove programs and the Software Centre has no entry. It's required to perform a search and get what you want from that list. It is rather hard and make it one notch closer to windows in the sense that under windows I don't know what to look for.

I love that Ubuntu offers a software centre with some apps put in the light. I don't see that in KDE.

Another problem that I have is the inclusion of Ubuntu One. Where's Ubuntu One in KDE? Will it be included in Lucid Lynx?

Finally to answer to people on this thread about bells and whistles vs speed: It depends of people, but in my family I'm the only guy and I have 3 girls. Glitters matters! All of the sudden things was pretty it makes it nice for them to get on Linux and try to figure out thing. it's something they are proud to show to their friends! Gnome is faster but it is rather ugly in comparison.

Nico
    What others have been saying about apps. You can install Ubuntu one in KDE and the Ubuntu software centre I also have synaptic and aptitude.

hope you enjoy using KDE - I know I do.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by xifer View Post
    What others have been saying about apps. You can install Ubuntu one in KDE and the Ubuntu software centre I also have synaptic and aptitude.

hope you enjoy using KDE - I know I do.
    +1
    Me too.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by lykwydchykyn View Post
    If you're a command-line person, install Yakuake. It's gives you a drop-down konsole session at a single keystroke. I live by it at work.
    am liking this - have been using CTRL-K for konsole and switching desktops to get back to it - cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Yes. I did try the different widgets. I love the binary clock. I used to have it on red hat 7.2 and at one point it disappeared. So good to have it back. I've taught my daughter and wife how to read it this morning

I think I will install empathy to chat. It handles gmail and facebook and nowadays most of my contacts or in there. It just so useful to have facebook contacts in there.

kmail works great and the widget for notifications works just fine too.
    I think I will get gwibber for the microblogging. The facebook widget is so so. Too small.

I use my computer these days mainly for music / movies / web browsing / games. Nothing really professional at home. It's a family computer.

Thanks for all the help. I'm pretty excited about that.
    Linux cheat sheet

If you can't afford to loose it, if you don't know how to get it back: back it up.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Empathy can handle gmail and facebook chat. I see none of this with kopete. How do you guys handle that? Any other things that bother you first and you found a work around for it?

Nico
    Google Chat and now Facebook both use the XMPP (jabber) protocol which Kopete supports. However, Kopete is still the one app I always replace with Pidgin because I like the interface better.
    (Intel Core i7 860, 2x2GB, Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3L, Radeon HD 4550, Audigy2 ZS Platinum, Sonata) + Asus V6J + Lenovo IdeaPad U330
    YOU can make Kubuntu Lucid a solid distro | My Blog

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast